I need a cheap, but competent tile guy....(Phoenix) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I need a cheap, but competent tile guy....(Phoenix)

PhxBuckeye
07-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Hello,

I need someone to lay about 273sqf of tile in my new house. Price is the biggest factor, but he has to do a professional job too. I want the tile to be laid on the diagonal. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm in the Phoenix area (Surprise).

Sponsored Links

Crestone Tile
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi PhxBuckeye ...

"cheap" and "competent" or "professional" are on different pages of the book. Actually, I think they're in different books altogether.

Sorry ... just bitter about my local area hacks lately.

Davestone
07-02-2008, 05:08 AM
I have to agree,times are tough, but. :bow:

Crestone Tile
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Just to add... if you want to save money, why not do it yourself? It may take you longer, but if you put some time into reading up in these forums, you can get the knowledge needed for your particular project. People here will answer questions to help you get it done right, and the end results will be better than any of the "cheap" installers you may find. :)

GraniteGirl
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
and the end results will be better than any of the "cheap" installers you may find.

You may also end up with some appreciation for the craft that goes into setting tile and quite gladly pay the more expensive setter next time you need a floor laid :idea:

ceramictec
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
the craft that goes into setting tilethis is where the "cheap & competent" don't go together....
you pay for what you get these days.

PhxBuckeye
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I've actually done 3/4 of an 1800sft. house before. However, that was nearly 10 years ago, and it did take me much longer than it would likely take a professional. I also had to rent some tools. When it was done I was VERY happy with the results, but time is an issue this time as I want to have this done, and the entire interior of the house painted before I move in. Since I've decided to paint myself, I'm not sure I can do both in time. The only thing I had a problem with the first time was the initial layout.

BTW, is there anything I need to know about trying to lay the tile on the diagnol? TIA.

ceramictec
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
on a diagonal or any pattern, layout is very important.

MudGuy
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
More material, more cuts, more difficulty, more time, more $$ :D

tilerite
07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
When I lived in Phoenix (1994-2002), I did a lot of work for there guys. They were as honest as they come.
http://www.americandiscountflooring.com/

ceramictec
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
When I lived in Phoenixyour a regular Nomad........PA., AZ & NC.
any others ? :)

overtaker
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
are you sure it's not 272 sf. of tile , you may save a little more. :shake:

Marge
07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd certainly give Rick's referral a call. If he thinks they are upright folks you probably will too. Being in Surprise is the tough part. PHX area installers just won't do the drives anymore with gas prices so high.

cx
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome, PhxBuckeye. Please give us a first name to use, preferably in a permanent signature line. :)

I'd suggest that if you have painting and tile work to be done that you do the tile work yourownself and hire out the painting.

You're not likely to get a painter who is both cheap and competent, either, but if he does poor work it's easier to fix than poor tile work, eh? :shades:

My opinion; worth price charged.

steve100
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I would do it myself rather then get some poor quality tile job. as some one mentioned above you pay for what you get.
good luck though if you do go ahead an do it

PhxBuckeye
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Anyone know this lady and her company? A co-worker says she does good work and will do it for $1.20 a sqf.

http://csflooringsolutions.ibusinessdot.com/

Dave Taylor
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Yo Alex!

rwcarpenter
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
That picture seems odd. Looks like she just cut the tile and went around the toilet...not what I would look for...would you pros here actually do that, wouldn't you pull the thing, tile up to the flange. What if you had to replace the toilet with a different footprint?

http://csflooringsolutions.ibusinessdot.com/modules/gallery/view.php?a=two2&image=070319071231_during2.JPG

MudGuy
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
A co-worker says she does good work and will do it for $1.20 a sqf.Absolutely no flippin' comment... :uhh:

Hey Phoenix...bye bye :wave:

Tomtoo
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Phoenix, I'm not a tile guy, just a homeowner. Tile on the floor is a lot more permanent than paint on the walls. A lousy paint job can be painted over. If you hire a lowballer to lay tile, remember that you're going to be looking at the results of their work for a long time, for better or worse.

Splinter
07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Yo Alex!

Sorry Dave, I'm not cheap! :rolleyes:

Multiply that $1.20 times six, and maybe you'd be in the ballpark.... plus airfare of course... :yeah:

Davy
07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Phoenix, welcome. I would be carefull, these days a good membrane can cost over 1.20 a foot. I've been setting tile since 1974 and we charged more than that back then. Seems like 1.75 to 2 bucks was about right. I remember charging 2.75 (floors) for builders from 1980-83. Like someone else said, you get what you pay for. :)

steve100
07-03-2008, 05:59 PM
wow $1.20 square foot???? $12 a metre...? I wouldnt go nowere near that sounds way to cheap to me even thogh i dont no the going rate in the states tho.

To put it in respective to my prices I charge £35 a squre metre which is aroud about 10 square feet just over. $70 per ten square feet which is $7 a square foot. (thats not including materials either).... and price rockets on desing work, natrual stone and kitchen walls.

johntrent
07-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe check Craig'sList? :lol1:

To me - better to have to move in and deal with a competent installer for a few days than to have to live with an installation of an incompetent installer long after I have moved in just to save a few bucks....

What's the saying? The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten?

Maybe not word for word but you get the idea.

So how does that break down? $1.20 for 273sf = $327
Minus about $60-75 for thin set, $25 for grout, $150 on the cheap for a membrane...hmmm,, that leaves about $90...really need something for wear & tear on my tools, bought a wet saw blade today for $70...I do need to pay my workers comp and general liability soon....

Were you looking for someone to pay you so they could install this tile?

Tool Guy - Kg
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum, PhxBuckeye. :wave:

Please understand we care about how our visitor’s jobs turn out. Our comments may seem a bit bold, but we’ve seen this all too often before and want you to obtain yourself a good quality job. Looking at their website, it looks like our opinions are being validated.

Take a look at what $1.20 will get you..... (http://csflooringsolutions.ibusinessdot.com/index.php?p=1_13_Ceramic-Too)
The dining room pics are the very first thing I clicked on by pure chance. Look at how much thinset has been caked onto the baseboards in the "during" and "after" shots. We can only assume this is the type of work that will be performed if you choose them. The cheapest bid is rarely the best value. Please don't be fooled. :)

johnnyhomeowner
07-03-2008, 10:40 PM
tell you what i will do
one time only deal of a life time
(1)get Brian a ticket from san diego
cx a ticket from texas
and brian (ceramictec) a ticket from florida
and me one from north carolina
(2)pay for the rooms
(3)pay for the beer and women (just 2 cx doesnt need one)
(4)mix the thinset and let it slack, call the hotel and get the limo
have it set in no time
for the craigs list going rate...........$1.20
we may need a few more to help
they can apply within!

ceramictec
07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
maybe I'll have her do bambu or porcaline for me. :lol1:

cx
07-03-2008, 11:29 PM
That Porcaline was the first thing caught my eye, too, Brian. Well, actually it was the Porcaline Too that sparked the most interest. :)

But y'all try to at least keep this thread up to the standards of The Friendliest Site On The Internet, eh? I know y'all mean well, but our new visitor may not see the humor when he/she may think the initial request was reasonable.

Jim Farrell Tiler
07-04-2008, 12:46 AM
we have a saying in New zealand " you get what you pay for " and thats what you will get cheap n nasty