Deck/concrete question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Deck/concrete question

jdkimes
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm building a deck.
I'm using concreted piers with embedded j-bolts connecting to some Simpson post bases.
Question about the concrete: Should I use a Fast setting concrete mix (Such as made by Quikrete) or just regular Quikrete concrete mix?
Reason for decision I want to pour the piers and j-bolts one day and then continue building the next day.Will the regular concrete set/cure enough to continue work within 12-24 hours?

This is a ground level deck and the double 2x6 beams will sit right on the Simpson bases.
Thanks for your help.
It's been awhile since I was here. Finished all my tile jobs.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
07-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Jeff,typically here builders will pour a slab then next day use a bobcat to put the block on it..i believe to get the weight on it while it's green,but don't know for sure. :bow:

jdkimes
07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd prefer to use the regular setting Quikrete, especially since I need to set the j-bolts at just the right place.

But I want to make sure that the concrete will be cured enough to continue the project within 12-24 hrs.

Just cured enough that if I'm nailing in the beans and setting joists that it will be okay.

Or should I use the fast setting?

rus_geek
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
When in doubt, I'd ask Quikrete. The spec sheet for the regular mix says "Wait 24 hours before post is subjected to any strain." The fast set says "Wait 4
hours before placing heavy objects."

If you can give it 24 (instead of 12) then I'd say go with the regular stuff.

-rus-

jdkimes
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice
One other quick question.
Again this is a relatively small (12x12) , ground level deck (decking only 12" off the ground).
Is it typical to use 8" diameter piers (tube forms) or 10"?
There will be no 4x4 in the concrete just the 1/2" j-bolt.