Dumb question: grout vs caulk [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: grout vs caulk

CMV
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm sure there's a reason.....but why couldn't one use something like colored sanded caulk instead of standard grout?

Seems like it would be easier to work with for a number of reasons - no mixing, quicker install, less cleanup, no need to seal, even color, no problem pausing in middle of job & worrying about a batch of grout setting up, etc.

Sponsored Links

sugarbeth
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Have you used caulk before? Because I can't imagine anyone who has calling it "quicker to install" or having "less cleanup". :)

Maybe it's just me, but that stuff gets everywhere and it's way sticky and hard to control.

ceramictec
06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
it isnt, an none of the things you mentioned are a concern to me when using sanded grout.

but things like: cost per tube, coverage per tube, slowness of application, inconsistent application when coming out of the gun and a few other wouldt make it worth it.

I could see using it on a backsplash where there is a listel thats bumpy or has ridges and or you dont want grout all over the tile.

Lonnie Walker
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I totally agree with Sugarbeth. Caulk is the worst. Grout may seem intiminating at first, but once you get going it is pretty easy and there is no way you could match the smoothness of the seams with caulk.

Dave

CMV
06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
My experience with caulk has just been standard around the house stuff and finish carpentry trim. Lay a bead, squish it in with caulk tool, wipe lightly with damp cloth, move on. Never worked with sanded caulk so maybe it's different.

My experience with regular sanded grout has just been doing the kitchen floor & counter backsplashes - about 300 sq ft or so. Factoring in all the clean-up & sealing time, it sure seemed to take much longer.

Maybe that's just because I'm so inexperienced I don't have very efficient techniques.

I'm using these pebbles for a shower floor - about 25 sq ft: http://www.floridatile.com/ProductStuff/PietraArtPebbles.htm the white snowball about 2/3 down the page. I'm thinking caulk would be much easier for these due to all the variance in shape/height between them.

java
06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Get your grout technique worked out and stop with all this crazy caulking.
:crazy:

Caulking a pebble floor would be insane.