Toilet flange over tiled surface - to fasten or not? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Toilet flange over tiled surface - to fasten or not?

Sterving
06-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I am tiling my bathroom. After determining that the existing flange will be sitting too low below finished surface (original tile was sitting on the plywood subfloor), I cut the old one out with the bend piece by accessing it from below. I installed new bend and a coupling. The finished surface will be, naturally, tile. :)

The question is - do I have to fasten the flange to the floor even if it sits flush and secure? That would require drilling through the tile in 4 places. Can I leave it un-fastened since the toilet will be sitting flat on the floor?

Sponsored Links

Hammy
06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I normally DO NOT tile under the flange. In my opinion the flange MUST be fastened to the floor. This secures the the toilet to the structure with out relying on the drain pipe to hold the commode in place. Hammy

jadnashua
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
The correct, but not the easiest way, especially after you went to the trouble to raise the flange, is to install it on top of the tile where it is designed to be. It is easier if you notch the tile so you don't have t odrill through them, so that the flange can (and it must, unless maybe it's cast iron and surrounded by cement) be anchored to the floor.

Sterving
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Ok, so the plan is to make tile cut-outs in the areas where fasteners will go to avoid drilling. I don't have the appropriate drill bits, but I do have angle grinder, hand wet saw (for plunge cuts) and nippers. I think that should do it.

mozilla
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
My personal opinion would be to drill slowly (add water as you drill down) through the tile with a carbide bit, use Tapcon screws (concrete substrate) to hold down the flange. If you go this route, make certain that you level your flange using plastic shims. Once level, screw down the flange through the tile and the substrate. Good luck.