Tiler finished yesterday, but a few problems came to light this morning [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiler finished yesterday, but a few problems came to light this morning

ldny
06-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi all - I'm newly registered, but have been lurking for a while as we geared up to re-tile our tub/shower surround. Reading this forum has been very helpful in answering the many questions we had!

Now I have another question that i can't answer just by reading other people's questions :)

The tiling was finished yesterday and it looked good. The tub surround was done with new cement backer and new tile. The floor tile is original, but it was re-grouted. This morning I went in to wipe down some of the lingering tile haze with a soft, dry chamois and some issues came to light. I really like our tile guy and I think he did a very nice job, overall, but before he comes back to address these issues, I'd like to be more informed about how to resolve these issues - both so I can discuss it with him in a more intelligent way (rather than have it sound like I am b*tching about it) and so I can know what to do in the future if we embark on additional tile work.

Since a picture speaks a thousand words, I've marked up a few pics showing the problems and linked to them below. But to summarize: part of the floor grout is very uneven, color-wise (only in one section), there are a few significant gaps in the wall grout and the wall corners are uneven and blotchy, similar to the floor (there's clear caulk already in those corners as well, which I think exaggerates the color unevenness)

Are these relatively simple fixes that I am asking the tiler to come back for? Am I being too picky? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I also have some questions about sealing, but I'll hold off on that for now :)

[Note: the tiles are not pink as pictured, they are white and gray... i just tinted the pics to draw attention to the problem areas]

Pictures are here: tinyurl -dot- com/5g42r6

[i seem to not be able to include a real URL, so I hope the above not-link makes sense. i have looked in the FAQ and don't see why URL posting would be restricted for new members, so I am not sure why it won't let me.]

-Laurie

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
06-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Laurie, and welcome to the forum.:)

Here is your link:

http://www.tinyurl.com/5g42r6

Anti-spam measures prevent posters from posting links until they accumulate around three posts.

ldny
06-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Thank you! I resized the pics and attached them as well, I was just concerned that they might not be big enough.

Andrew21
06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Laurie,

YOu're not being picky. You paid for a service and if you don't like it, call him to complain. A good contractor/tile guy would come back and fix whatever is necessary.

Davestone
06-29-2008, 07:50 AM
It's easy to miss a few pinholes, and sometimes the grout shrinks,an easy fix.And caulk in the corners will hide most of that problem. The splotchy grout might be fixed with a haze remover cleaning,and a little more drying, if not, a scratch and regrout will.

ldny
06-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your responses. The tile guy is coming back tomorrow eve and seems eager to make things right so I'm confident these issues can all be resolved to both our satisfaction. Now I just need the plumber to come back and finish installing the new shower fixtures so I don't have to keep going to the gym in the morning just to shower!

Marge
06-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Laurie, a belated welcome to the forum. Sounds like some of the folks here have addressed your concerns and you are in a position to share that with your tile pro. Now, just get that plumber to get everything in order and you'll be in great shape. :)

ldny
06-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks again everyone. The tile setter came back tonight and filled in the "holidays," re-did the grout and silicon in the corners and re-grouted the blotchy section of the floor. We're not entirely sure if this section of floor will need to be done again - he says there may be some moisture in those spots. We'll see what it looks like in a few weeks, but I'm much happier already :)

The plumber came back this morning to install the shower trim and I took the best shower I've had in over a week :) It's much nicer not having to get up at 7am to shower at the gym!

Davy
06-30-2008, 08:28 PM
It looks like ceramic tile, if it is, wash a few joints with vinegar and see if that helps, rinse it well. :)

ldny
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Davy - The tiles are ceramic, yes. how long should I wait before do that, if I need to?