Removing old Hardibacker board [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing old Hardibacker board

ekoncepts
06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get a little insight into how to proceed.

I have a shower stall that developed a leak. Investigation led to the fact that the vinyl liner has holes. So I am in the process of removing the old tile and board so I can replace the liner.

My question is what is the best way of cutting out the old board to gain access to the liner. I only needed to remove the bottom 3 rows of tile to do so. I would like to remove just the amount of board to gain total access to the liner for removal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

Sponsored Links

tilerite
06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I would use a 4" angle grinder for something like that. Pressing a wet sponge on the blade will keep the dust down but make sure you wear latex gloves to prevent shock.

ekoncepts
06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks Rick,

Can you recommended a blade type to use.

Harry

Tiletim
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Here is a cheapie that should work for you: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41741

or you can also get them at the big orange or big blue

Tilerite most likely uses a continuous rim blade for the sponge trick, it does work good.

I like the turbo blades, they seem to cut easier but you CAN'T use the sponge trick on them - I use a vac hose ahead of the cut.

Turbo blades are a combo of a continuous rim and a segmented blade in one.

tilerite
06-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Harry
What Tim linked would be fine. I use a cheap 4" continuous rim. One note; you will make a bit of a watery mess. After cutting roughly 2 or 3 feet, I like to sponge up the slimy mess and clean the sponge. Have a bucket of water with you and be careful. Make sure you wear eye goggles.

Tiletim
06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
What Rick said and also you must wear lung protection.

ekoncepts
06-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Rick & Tim,

I appreciate all your advice and recommendations. I am now better informed about how to best tackle the job, safely and with ease.

Harry