Where can I buy tile-in sinks? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy tile-in sinks?

delawaredeb
06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi

I'm trying to find tile-in sinks for my soon-to-be-tiled kitchen and bathrooms. Kohler has tile-in sinks for the kitchen, but almost nothing for the vanities. My installer has an up-charge of $150 per sink to do an undermount, so with 3 vanities to do, I'd really like to find tile-in vanity sinks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Deb

Sponsored Links

MudGuy
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I prefer self-rimming, it's a cleaner look than tile-in. The tile-in sinks I've used (Kohler) edges have never been flat and are an up-charge as well. :D

Marge
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Deb, I know some of the pros have a knack with those tile in sinks but I've seen a few and none were very nice looking. If the budget isn't going to allow for undermount I'd go for a top mount versus a tile in. Agree with Jonathan about a cleaner look. JMO. :)

JTG
06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm with Marge and Jonathan. Tile in sinks never look quite right vs undermount. They don't lay flight, edges are not glazed over so there is a little narrow black line that showes.
Good Luck
JTG

delawaredeb
06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear about the tile-in sink issues. Had no idea.

So, it sounds as if undermount is the way to go if I don't want to do self-rimming.

Does a $150 up-charge per undermount sound fair? (I'll have 5 inc. kitchen).

Marge
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
The average charge here in PHX is $150-200 so that sounds reasonable. Deb, I know spending that extra hurts, but think you'll really be happy with the decision. :)

delawaredeb
06-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Everything has a learning curve...

So, I've learned that tile-in vanity sinks are almost non-existent. Given that and the fact I'm ok with the look of top mount vitreous china sinks in the vanity, I've chosen those for the master bath (2 sinks) and guest bath (1). No up-charge, yay! (Sorry pros)

For the kitchen - main sink and smaller island sink - I want tile-in or undermount. My installer (highly recommended) has not encountered the problems with tile-in mentioned in this thread and it sounds as if he does more tile-in than undermount; tile-in is the standard bid spec. Perhaps this is a regional thing? However, he's fine with either installation ($150 for tile-in or $250 for undermount).

My on-line research does suggest that tile-in sinks, in spite of the name, are not the industry standard. On this site, in an old thread, I think it was John Bridge who referred to the tile-in sink as a dinosaur...

At any rate, I will try to actually lay eyes on a tile-in and undermount sink to see if I prefer the looks of one vs. the other. Given the fact that I am in far Northern California behind the Redwood Curtain, this may be a challenge...

Oruboris
06-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Not what you were talking about, but I recently visited a very artsy restraunt-- designed and owned by an architect, mostly to show off his art collection.

And the sinks in the rest rooms were copper vesels, set into rough edged granite slabs. Practically no edge to clean around.

Would be very easy to do in a tile situation since the rims are about half an inch wide, and hides the cut edges.

delawaredeb
06-29-2008, 09:22 AM
The tile shop sent me two very clear pictures showing the difference between tile-in and undermount.

One last question... The pics show cast iron sinks; could I do stainless in both applications?

Thanks

Marge
06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
You can get stainless in both top and undermount. I have actually seen one stainless done with tile (versus slab) as a sort of undermount. It wasn't great, but have seen worse. :)

pitterpat
06-29-2008, 10:54 AM
My .02, I would not go with the vitreous china....have one in my half bath and if when you wash your hands you have bubbly soap residue left in sink when the bubbles die down you have a dirt residue (ring) left on you sink around the drain. At least I do, in my other bathrooms I have the metal with enamel painted over and this never happens. The metal sinks always look clean,

Pat