Tile over tile...with Kerdi..can I? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over tile...with Kerdi..can I?

thebeezer
06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
1st time poster here so be gentle.

I own a small gym and have 4 shower stalls tiled with 2 x 2 tiles, needless to say after 5 years the showers are toast, poorly installed in the first place by total hacks, with lots of water penetrations through to the drywall(yes they used drywall). The tiles are still firmly set, but the grout is really worn away from constant cleaning, and there are staining an mould probelms. I'd like to get another 2 years out of these showers without spending too much money since we will be moving. Could we put a layer of Kerdi membrane over the old tile and then install new tiles on the floors and walls? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, Beezer.:)

I would not recommend what you are proposing. To start, it would be difficult to employ the Kerdi drain - which is one of the primary benefits of the Kerdi system.

Next, you have no way of knowing what kind of damage has occurred behind your tiles. Applying Kerdi over that may only mask a problem that is getting continually worse.

I would tear everything out, and start fresh with a proper Kerdi installation.

I know you plan on moving in a few years. An existing mold problem could complicate that.

Crestone Tile
06-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Beezer,

I second Dan's recommendation that it's a bad idea. The water damage and mold within the current installation can only be properly mitigated through a complete tear out and new install.

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
You'd have a hard time getting un-modified thinset to stick to the tiles, and modified thinset may never fully cure under the Kerdi.

dgunnels
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Doing anything OVER the old tiles is just going to amplify the problems you already have. Do you know what kind of base is under the tiles? If concrete base and walls, could you go with the 'industrial' concrete look? This would be easy to clean. Spray it down with beach water from a graden sprayer every day.