saltillo Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : saltillo Tile

lissa
06-02-2001, 06:05 PM
Our landlord put in a saltillo tile driveway and it wasn't sealed. My car dripped oil on it and I need help! How do I clean the oil off the tile?! Lissa

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
06-02-2001, 06:16 PM
You in BIG TROUBLE girl.

It would be easier to just move late tonight.

Bud Cline
06-02-2001, 06:21 PM
But seriously lissa, a poultice will sometimes work, but it will take a while. I doubt that it will ever come out completely.

I don't think the fact that the owner didn't seal HIS driveway is your problem anyway. Your a tenant and by law tennants are entitled to normal ware and tare of a property.

What kind of a place has Houston become John? That's a pretty fancy driveway for a renatl propertry isn't it?

John Bridge
06-02-2001, 07:08 PM
Hi Lissa,

Are you sure it's Saltillo tile? I've never seen a driveway done that way. Saltillo is very soft as clay tiles go. Wouldn't hold up at all on a driveway. I think it might be thin brick or some form of quarry tile, which is much easier to clean.

In any case, Bud is right -- about the poultice and about the liability. Driveways get oil dripped on them.

Get the poultice at a full-line tile supply store and follow the directions. Pressure washing is very effective, too. You have to rent a really good machine, though, not one of the cheapies from Home Depot.

How did Bud get the idea you're in Houston? I don't see that indicated anywhere.

Bud Cline
06-02-2001, 07:34 PM
Your right John, I certainly took a giant leap there didn't I? I guess I just associate Saltillo with your part of the country. And your in Saltilloville in my thinking so 1 + 1 = giant leap. I have not seen even one piece of that stuff here, anywhere. Kinda miss it!

John Bridge
06-02-2001, 08:08 PM
"Saltilloville" sort of connotes "Margaritaville." "Strummin' my six-string." Well, in my case, it's a FOUR-string.

http://www.johnbridge.com/duet.jpg

I call this "Duet." The bird is playing. I'm just posing. And the bird just went number two on my forearm directly behind the fingerboard.

lissa
06-22-2001, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the help! My kids twins have been sick and I just now checked back in. My landlord is lame. We live in Santa Barbara CA. I guess we'll try a poultice and that's the best we can do. He really is mad and expects us to clean it before we move tho. My husband is ready to just blow the place up. The landlord did additionbs on the house and it's crappily done. mold everywhere in the bathroom and master bedroom because he didn't put window in the bathroom that open DUH! It just goes on and on. Can't wait to move. Thanks again, Lissa

Kirk Downey
07-15-2001, 03:28 AM
Lissa,
If your landlord did crappy work on your place he is responsible. There is an "implied warranty of habitability" when he accepts rental money from you. If is not habitable, you may be able to withhold part or all of your rent. You may also be liable to store that witheld rent in an account. You could also wait until you find a new place that will come available in three months and push the bastard into evicting you (3 mos) by not paying rent.

There is a thing called "constructive eviction" that places blame on the landlord for messing up your living place. If he changes thiings after you move in, he may be "constructively" evicting you and therfore liable for the monies you paid for rent which he, because of the eviction, had diminshed rights to.

If he's screwing you, screw back.

He put an oil sponge on the ground under cars, who do you think Judge Judy would scold, you or the doofus who laid tile on a driveway without sealing it? Tell him to fix his own mess. Tell him what a poultice is and tell him to do the work, or deduct a reasonable cost for your doing work from the money you pay as rent.

Falula Been
06-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Lissa,

Before you take Kirk Downey’s advice regarding your landlord, I would talk to the people at Santa Barbara Rental Housing Mediation Task Force. They’re phone number is 805 730 1523. They were incredibly helpful to me.

I live in Santa Barbara for four years, and just moved last summer. During my time there I had three consecutive horrible landlords. Unfortunately, in SB this seams to be the norm, and more unfortunate then that, is that tenants have very few rights. The people at the Rental Housing Mediation Task Force helped me understand the civil code concerning rental housing and the special little niche market that is SB. Only people who have lived there can understand exactly what I’m talking about. :o)

For example, you may find that staining the driveway with oil from you car (depending on how big the stain is, ofcourse) does not constitute as wear and tear. It could be considered negligent to have your car leaking oil onto the driveway in the first place.

My guess is that, you have one – two months of rent tied up in you damage deposit, (which is standard there) and don’t want to run the risk of losing it.

I don’t work for the R H M T F, nor am I associated with them in any way. I was reading the forum to get some tips on laying Saltillo tiles in my kitchen, and saw your posting, and thought I might be able help.

John Bridge
06-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Falula, Welcome. :)

Check out the date on Lissa's last post. It's three years old. ;)