Remodel, anti-fracture membrane? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Remodel, anti-fracture membrane?

acti84
06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Haven't done remodel for a while now. New construction has kept us busy. I have a customer who wants a anti-fracture membrane in house that is over 10 years old. I don't feel it's necessary, and is spending more money than he should. Of course I would bridge any existing cracks. Any of you other remodelers out there find this to be a common practice in remodels, too apply a membrane on whole floor. We're talking concrete subfloor in Florida.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links

gueuzeman
06-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Consider it cheap insurance that the customer is willing to pay for. Perhaps they had a bad experience in the past.

I'd do it. gueuze

ceramictec
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
We're talking concrete subfloor in Florida.that's even more of a reason to use a membrane. lots of cheap customers in Florida don't use it and take a chance of cracks in their tile at a later time when the slab cracks. as you know the soil is all sand and there's a lot of movement going on with the slabs down here. during the heat cycles and especially after the rainy season they tend to move.
it's just good insurance to do.

mctile
06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I push for an anti-fracture membrane on any installation over a concrete substrate. I make no money off this step of the installation but I think that it is an integral step in any lasting installation when tile is applied directly onto a slab.

acti84
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Thank you all for your input. I agree with you that it is a good insurance. Guess I will just make it an option for any new remodel jobs, and explain the downfalls to not applying it. Long ago in the past we just bridged the existing cracks on anything older than 5 years.

Thanks,
Chris

Foochacho
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I used to do lots of slabs in NW Indiana same thing lots of sand. Most of the movement in the slabs I saw was vertical and the membrane won't help with that, but if the customer is willing to pay for it why not? Even if it is an older slab you never know with the sand. I saw one control joint open up to about 1 inch after a couple of years. Lets hope if the slab does move it isn't that extreme but I'm just using it as a point that even after a couple of years it opened up that much.

tileguytodd
06-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Dangerous ground you tread when a customer ASKS for a product and you try to tell them they do not need it..........If a problem occurs that an Anti fracture membrane may have prevented and you talked them out of it, Guess What!!!

An Anti fracture membrane over a Slab is ALWAYS a good idea and NEVER a bad idea.........some do not want to pay for it..........they also probobly like Las Vegas vacations ;)