Is my rim joist going to rot? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Is my rim joist going to rot?

PricelessDharma
06-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

I am doing a major rehab and addition and I have encountered a problem. I am building a set of stairs up to a pair of french doors. In order to have the top step height be 7.5" I will need the bottom 2.5" of my 2x10 rim joist to be behind/below the masonry steps (poured concrete plus 1" mortar bed and 1.5" bluestone). How best to waterproof, flash, seal etc to keep this area from rotting out? Any advice much appreciated.

Oak

Sponsored Links

ScottIdaho
06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Definitely no masonry in contact with untreated wood in exterior application.

One idea is to separate the poured concrete from the structure with a spacer. Is that bluestone a type of tile? If it is large enough/strong enough, it could bridge most of the gap.

Sheet membrane, metal, etc... are other ideas that come to mind to keep the concrete out of contact with the wood.

If you have a local inspector, check with him regarding advice and local building codes.

PricelessDharma
06-24-2008, 06:57 AM
I was forgetting that the Exp.1 sheathing will be over the rim joist but that seam still worries me. I was thinking about a layer of that self-stick flashing. Does anyone know if that can stand contact with mud? Bluestone is what they call flagstone around here. Thanks

Oak