Pet urine on travertine [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pet urine on travertine

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Is there a good way to remove pet urine marking from travertine? The urine was immediately cleaned but a light spot exist where it covered the stone. Did the urine etch the travertine because of the acid? Thank you.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
'Fraid so. :sick:

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Figured that. How do I get it looking most like the other travertine that is honed? Is it possible to neutralize the stain?

ceramictec
06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
if it's only on one tile maybe just replace it.

be a good idea'r to seal your travertine from this happening in the future.

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
The travertine was sealed and it's on more than one tile. It sounds like no one has any suggestions on how to fix this so far.

ceramictec
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
if you have a sealer on the travertine the urine shouldn't have stained. only made a puddle and a dry surface spot.

it could have just marked the sealer.

maybe one of the sealer Reps or cleaning & restoration pro's can help.

what type sealer did you use on the travertine??

e3
06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
you could try to have the dog do it on all the others so they match..
Might give some one like Aqua Mix a call.

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Miracle 511 to answer your question. Talked to a local retailer who installed our granite counter tops. He said nothing will protect from urine as it will eat through the sealer, "sealer isn't meant to stop strong acid." He did render advice on working with the stone since the urine didn't sit on it any length of time.

ceramictec
06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
He did render advice on working with the stone since the urine didn't sit on it any length of time.and that was.........?

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
He said to lightly sand the stone with very fine sandpaper (starting with 220) then more fine and more fine and ending with 600 grit. Mop between each sanding. He said in a week or two with regular use it will return to look as the others. The dog (dogsitting) was 17 years old and luckily found a spot in a closet, so I will try that process on that tile first. Unfortunately, the dog seemed to use the contrasting 2" tiles as "targets" and in essence hit four tiles every time but the once in the closet.

ceramictec
06-23-2008, 02:24 PM
:) thanks

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
This process proves very labor intensive, because five different grits of sandpaper were used until 600. On the first sanding the mild etching immediately disappeared. With each subsequent sanding the tile got smoother and smoother. I cannot tell the difference by feel between this tile and surrounding tiles. It appears to be a bit lighter (perhaps two or three shades) than before, but variation exists between tiles anyway. The tile will need to be sealed of course. Thanks for all your ideas and the humor of some posters.

WTT
06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I going to preface this with I completely don't know what I'm talking about except that we have dogs too.

Have you used the Nature's Miracle Orange Oxy? It's supposed to be formulated for indoor hard surfaces. http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/nmstory/nmstory.php?id=te
The original Nature's Miracle is great at removing stains and pet odors from carpet, hopefully this Orange Oxy will work on your Travertine? I'd probably try it on the closet spot first.

Granted I'm doubtful that it'd work, but IMO it's still worth a shot.

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
WTT,

Never thought of that, perhaps next time.... :sick: The process the gentleman told me to try worked great, just took a lot of labor! Since time is free.... Thanks for the idea.

jadnashua
06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Depending on the original polishing on the stone, you might just keep going up in grits...I've got some 3500 grit pads...it's out there, but you have to search. The lighter color is still surface scratches that will go away if you care to keep going, but sounds like you've reached a point that is good enough.

Not all sealers are created equal, not sure about the one you used.

USMC_Retired
06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Depending on how it looks in the morning, I may keep on going. Where does one purchase higher grit sandpaper? Thanks.

jadnashua
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
For wet and dry stuff, you might try an auto refinisher. For diamond pads, a tile supplier. I picked up a set of diamond hand pads with a handle - they've got velco backings - that goes up over 3000, about $80 for the set off the internet years ago. I think the coarse one was 60 grit and there were around 8 pads in the set.

USMC_Retired
06-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the information, will go out this morning looking for them. Have a good day.

USMC_Retired
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Found sandpaper up to 1000 grit at the automotive supply store. The 800 grit made a world of difference in appearance and the 1000 grit got all but one tile back to the original color. One tile is about half a shade lighter. The better half won't authorize tools to spend $80 or the pads would have been purchased. Thanks for your help.

Hammy
06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
well sometimes you have to get the right stuff or live with the stains. Powers to be have a choice. Hammy

USMC_Retired
06-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Hammy,

The urine stains went away with the 220 grit. I was simply trying to get the original color back. All except one tile did that. The other is half a shade lighter than originally viewed. Since a lot of variation exists in travertine, I don't think worrying about the half shade makes a difference, as no one viewing the floor for the first time would notice the difference anyway.

GraniteGirl
06-26-2008, 11:08 AM
What you had was an etch. You can seal the stone again and it will still etch if the dog pees on it. Reason is this:

Impregnating sealers work because they get absorbed into the stone. They do not form a layer on top of the stone. So if you want to imagine you are looking at a sealed tile under a tremendously huge magnification, the sealer will only sit in the micro pores and crevasses of the stone. The bulk of the stone will be exposed to whatever calamities may befall it in the course of life (like dog pee for instance :D )

Because the dog urine is acidic (as is human urine, adult beverages, coffee, tea or most personal hygiene products too) the acids will react to the calcium base of the travertine, even though the tiles were sealed.

The only real way to stop calciferous stone from reacting to acids would be to cover it with something - like plate glass, plastic or other unmentionables like topical sealers (those urethane looking things that leave your stone looking like vinyl and have no use anywhere near a floor - or any self respecting stone for that matter)

So bottom line is - keep the sandpaper handy or keep the dog off the travertine if you want it to continue looking pristine. Otherwise adopt a European attitude to your stone: relax and accept the life marks as patina.

:neesie:

USMC_Retired
06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Adriana,

Indeed the sandpaper is handy. Also found 1200 grit just in case. The dog went home, so that should not be a problem.

ceramictec
06-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Otherwise adopt a European attitude to your stone: relax and accept the life marks as patina.wouldnt that be "PEEtina" ? :lol2: