Meet a Mud Man [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Meet a Mud Man

John Bridge
06-02-2001, 02:15 PM
Meet Bob Bridge. My brother (just turned 79) is still a member of the local union where he lives in Washington State. He spent most of his career as a tile superintendent on commercial jobs -- the Seattle Kingdome was one. A Pearl Harbor survivor (USS Nevada), Bob entered the tile trade upon discharge after the war.

He got his twin brother Harold on as a helper when he was discharged from the Marine Corps after the war. Harold, who is no longer with us, got me going in the trade.

http://www.johnbridge.com/bob.jpg

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
06-02-2001, 02:24 PM
John,

My hat comes off to Bob Bridge for more than one reason, I just hope I'm that slim and trim when I'm his age.

chip
06-02-2001, 03:06 PM
Was your father a tile installer as well?

If not, it's interesting that you and your brothers stuck, a little tile setters joke there! Very little I know. It must have been Bonal.

Your brother is a fine looking man, now we know where the looks went in your family.

Just joking, your cute as a bugs ear too.

Rob Z
06-02-2001, 06:11 PM
John

Please pass on to your brother my thanks, appreciation, and admiration for his service to the country. As an avid student of the history of WWII, I have always wanted to meet someone who was there at Pearl Harbor. The father of one of my friends in high school was involved in the Battle of Midway, later commisioned, and served as a Navy pilot in WWII, the Berlin Airlift, Korea, and Vietnam. It was fascinating to hear stories from someone who was there.

It seems that so many people of my generation don't have any idea of the events that led to the attack on Pearl Harbor. There is a whole lot of revisionist history going on out there that is trying to retell the story of the War. It's nonsense, and I think this new movie has some of that attitude as well. I will not go see it.

Rob

John Bridge
06-02-2001, 06:47 PM
Art,

My dad was a carpenter/millwright, but that's close enough. He passed away in 1948 when I was six years old.

Rob,

I had three brothers who served in the Pacific during WW2, Bob in the Navy, Harold in the Marines, and Leo in the Army. They all saw plenty of action. Harold and Leo both died of cancer some years ago. They were in their sixties.

Bob's ship, the Nevada, was one of the battleships that were sunk during the attack. Bob happened to be up on deck reading the paper when it all started, so he was near his station. He was a gunner's mate.

The ship was struck several times by torpedoes and began to list severely. Most of the officers were ashore, it being a Sunday morning. It seems an old "chief" had the presence of mind to get the ship underway and steer it toward the shoal, where it finally settled. It was eventually refloated, but by that time Bob had transferred to the light cruiser Phoenix, where he served out the remainder of the war.

Bob met a guy on the Phoenix (Russ Marlow) who married one of my older sisters after the war. They live where Bob lives, and I see them all every summer. I hear two distinct versions of how the Phoenix fared -- they can't seem to agree on the details. The major battles they went through, though, are history.

I have another brother who served in the Army during the Korean War. And I, of course, am a Vietnam veteran.

And quite frankly, I'm proud of all of us.

I'll tell Bob you said hi.

Oh! And the fate of the Phoenix. It was put in mothballs and eventually sold to the Argentine Navy. It was sunk by the British during the Falklan Islands War. Think of the irony here. My brother-in-law Russ is still pissed at the Brits for sinking "his" ship.

chip
06-03-2001, 02:45 PM
So great to hear their are still people out there that respect and admire those who served their country.

As I mentioned before I was a dental assistant during the Vietnam war, I never did like it being called a conflict, and the most action I saw was in basic training.

But, by god you never heard any stories of the country being over run be bacterial plaque, so I must have done some thing right.

All kidding aside, Thank you and your brothers for all you did.

By the way the movie Pearl Harbor is actually pretty good.

The action scenes of the zeros buzzing around the harbor and the islands is unbelievable.

Yes there was some cheesy romance stuff, but the movie was great.