Water under Ceramic Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Water under Ceramic Tile

chester634
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm new here and am looking for some advice. My wife and I bought a spec home about two years ago with an unfinished basement. Six months ago I finished our 8x10 laundry room. It has a concrete floor which I put down ceramic tile. I used the Accu color easy premixed grout from menards to grout the tile. (This stuff is supposed to require no sealing because its already added) About a month ago our washing machine sprung a leak and flooded the floor. I had to cut up about 2 inches on all of the walls and remove the sheet rock as it was damaged. I have notices some discoloration in the grout in some areas of the floor where it appears water may have seeped. I'm certain that from the amount of water that some was able to seep in from the edges of the room. Will this dry out eventually or do I have to rip up the entire floor and replace. Will I have a mold problem. We are noticing a musty smell. (I'm hoping its just my dirty socks) Please help!

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
05-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Premixed grout can absorb water if it sits in it long enough, as can premixed thinset (you didn't use that, did you?). You've saturated the walls enough to require removal of the sheetrock, so you've got water trapped under the sill, among other places. Get lots of ventilation down there to dry things out. Check in our "liberry" for a mold elemination formula.

chester634
05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I mixed up the powdered thin set but used premixed grout. I have had a fan blowing in the room for about a week and the sill has appeared to dry. The sheet rock has been off for about three weeks exposing it to the air. I feel that the sill and walls are dried out, my concern is any water under the ceramic?

John Bridge
05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Chester, Welcome aboard. :)

There isn't anything good I can say about the so-called "pre-mixed" grout and thin set products. I think they are pretty much garbage. I don't know how to fix your problem save replacing the material in the discolored areas or replacing all the grout.