Proper 7 1/4 blade depth for cutting granite [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Proper 7 1/4 blade depth for cutting granite

jdvzwia
04-18-2008, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes: I have a garage full of granite and i am about to embark on the adventure of cutting it for our kitchen. It is 3cm tropic brown. My question is this....how deep should i set the saw blade? Should it just barely come out the bottom of the slab or a good amount out the bottom of the slab. I am cutting it upside down to minimize chipping. I am using a dewalt saw with a hitachi turbo blade and cutting dry. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a knife grade epoxy for seeming?? Thanks in advance, Matt.

Sponsored Links

Hammy
04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
First, what kind of a saw are you using? Blade mounted above or below the tile being cut. Why are you cutting it dry? Why will the chipping be minimized by cutting it upside down? Im missing the clear picture here. Hammy

jadnashua
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Unless you've got a REALLY high powered saw, cutting it dry is going to be messy, and regardless, will be dusty.

The heat produced isn't going to be good and binding is certainly an issue. WHen that happens, the torque can wreck havoc.

conceptsplus
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
If nothing else, I'd tape the top surface of the granite and mark over the tape. Cut from the top. Use a straight edge for a guide. Depth is just enough to get through. Akemi or Aqua Mix Polyester gel. No epoxy! Here's a link to some Akemi gels http://www.toolocity.com/browseproducts/Akemi--Platinum-Transparent-Knife-Grade-Polyester---900-ml-Can.html
I agree 100% with Jim, It will be very dusty! Take it slow if you have to cut it dry.