Diagonal/diamond pattern? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Diagonal/diamond pattern?

Badback
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
the next bathroom plan is 12x12 bottom 3 rows, 2x2 deco's, then 6x6 cut diagonals to ceiling. was and is the plan but .... in another thread here John stated it's hard to get the corners done right. :crap:

really that hard to get right ? main reason being ......insert.....
that's the design we really want to do but if it is screwed up by lousy corners it could be a blown idea.

who has-hasn't - how'd it go and what was main issue if you had trouble?
need encouragement or discouragement so I have time to redesign and sell the bride on it too

Sponsored Links

crosby1
04-14-2008, 07:32 AM
joe,
really not that difficult to set diagonal tiles. easiest thing to do is to start in the corner and work your way out from there. start with 1 tile cut in half; use half on one wall, half on the other. just make sure everything is laid on a perfect 45 deg. angle and your tile corners are level with each other. if not, your grout lines will be off the farther you get from the starting point.

Badback
04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
my tiles are somewhat random when it comes to the edges and more wavy like. they definetly not flat or any 2 the exact same so I have suspicion my grout lines be bit different from row to row based on a partial dry run layout. that pattern looks great - John's comment put me in a tizzy questioning whether I could do it.

is this the type of job, with so much cutting all told, that one precuts totally the diagonals? Sure will speed it up but it'd be rotten if this gets messed up too. still got to reframe the shower/tub walls so I'll get them all trimmed out level while I have them open. this is one big bugger of a project for my old bones and know I will need and be seeking a lot of advice. so many of you have got this down so well it's a mighty humbling thing to see the work you do. God willing, and body in agreement, I might get it down to a passing C grade before I check out.

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Joe,

starting with a half tile works on some walls, but doesn't help line up the tile and joints in all showers.
depending on your type of shower and the walls.
you should center a tile on the back wall, (either center a tile top corner and bottom corner, or center 2 tile 3/4 to the side) making sure you have a good enough size of tile to wrap whatever the cut piece you take off and put on the side wall returning to the front.

wrapping a corner with the cut off is a good look.
then you would just have to end with whatever piece ends to the front of the shower touching the end bullnose piece.

Badback
04-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Brian,
think I am lost here. sorry.
when you said to center a tile back wall I can't seem to grasp what you are explaining to me --- this part loses my feeble old brain

"you should center a tile on the back wall, (either center a tile top corner and bottom corner, or center 2 tile 3/4 to the side) making sure you have a good enough size of tile to wrap whatever the cut piece you take off and put on the side wall returning to the front."

visions dance before my eyes showing a tile hanging in mid air ... lol
I wish I knew how to draw a sketch up so I could show you what I envision here. I can't get it to work in my head - dazzed, confused and lost. :stupid2:

Simpler way to explain to an old man what probably is a simple thing?
Thank ya

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
if you place your tile on a diagonal. centering a tile would be from top tip to bottom tip of the tile.

MudGuy
04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Joe -

I'm with John on this one, it is hard to get the corners right and I can think of lots of things I'd rather be doing with my time. But if you insist, it will definitely complement your proposed installation. You could always take your 12's up another row or two to minimize the pain. :D

If you're only working with two walls (a corner shower) you can do as Pietre said and start at the inside corner and work your way out. All your corner pieces will be the same, a 6x6 cut point to point.

If you're working with three walls you'll want to do as Brian said, which is to find the center of your back wall and work out to both corners of the side walls. Your cuts to both side walls will be the same and your installation will be centered.

When you make that cut to a side wall, save the balance of your cut piece and continue with it on the side wall. This will give you a continuous diagonal pattern. This is also where a diagonal install becomes a pain, measuring and marking an angle cut straight/plumb to the wall.

One small tip...when taking a measurement from your diagonal field install to the corner, subtract the thickness of your tile (along with a grout joint) from that measurement. You need to hold that tile placement back from the corner the thickness of a tile, in order to get the two corner pieces to align properly. You'll enjoy a little trial and error at this point. :D

crosby1
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
"You'll enjoy a little trial and error at this point."

and alot of wasted tile! :)

jaxkewl
04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Here is my diagonal tile layout. the corners weren't the hardest part, it was cutting those tiles and not breaking...

Rd Tile
04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
DO NOT start in the corner, as Brian stated, draw a level line in the middle of the wall, start there with a full tile on a 45 on that line or centered over it, you want the SAME size cuts at both ends of the wall.

Also, going to the ceiling might not look great, when you get up there see when you have a half of a tile cut and see if you can run a row or two of tile set straight.:)

Badback
04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Mamma miaaaaaaa :)
in this corner we got Brian, in that corner we got Richie. both are nice decorative trim tiles that go with any style of tile :yeah:
like the differences in opinions and my question is which is easier for a newbie? willing to buy ya a beer and we sit down and hash it all out at the pub. wait - you live elsewhere. I forgot

Richie - that be the layout and look you show except my first 3 courses will be the 12x12.
I'll measure height tonight but can't be more than 7-8 courses of 6x6 going up. guess that could mean a lot of screwed up cuts at that if I mess up bad.
dilema may be fact they were special order - maybe I'd best make a call and get another couple of boxes ordered and shipped just in case.

so now back to the question of which way is the ?????.........gentlemen, I am now about to :cry: :)

edited - Jonathan's comment makes me wonder why 3 courses 12", then the deco, then the 6" is the norm? here it always seems to be they way in tile shops, designer homes, magazines, etc.
always looks superb - just wonder how that was established to be the "way"?
and if in fact another bottom course would make it look outta balance? seems to on a floor layout but that also a funny way to look at things, even from above on a chair

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Joe,

you misread Richie's post.

he said "dont start in the corner like Brian said"

meaning he and I do it the exact way, I dont start in the corner and my wall would look just like the wall he posted in his picture and as Jonathan described in his post.

*there is no wasted tile if the corners are wrapped, just the cut off on the edge front side.
:)

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Joe,

if you were closer you could buy me or Richie a beer and just let one of us do the install.

then you would see how it is done and can relax watching us do it......lol

:tup1:

Badback
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
:goodpost: :clap1:
:tup2:

Brian,
you ain't a tootin' jalepeno's and chili beans I misread it.
me still chucklin' at the whole idea that I'm going try this too - maybe the tears in my eyes from laughing? despair? eye strain? messin' me up.
how's about me being a bundle of nerves and not sure

guys - very information info here by all and of great benefit to me - I need to learn to decipher it better before I post a dumb comment.this turns out right I'll throw a :aparty2:

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
you can do it Joe,
just come here and ask us for any help you might need.
one of the other fine members will be glad to assist you.

Tiletim
04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Joe,

I would always start in the center back wall on a LEVEL line (horizontal) carried to each wall, then find vertical plumb line on said back wall.

Once you have that established determine if you will start with a full tile or a half tile at center. (This is in relation to how the corner tile would "turn" to the next wall"). I try and minimize small corner pieces on the largest wall (just my preference). It is not always avoidable.

After you have the layout figured out I would suggest that you grid the wall. This will give you reference as you set the tile on diagonal.

Then set up your saw with a jig to cut tiles corner to corner, then cut all tile (half tiles) at the same time per your layout. I like doing it this way because I will get a consistently uniform dimension on all my cut half tile and you don't have to keep setting up a jig to get the "same" cut as before. Makes for a better - easier install.

Here is a pic of a shower similar to the layout you described.

ceramictec
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM
there ya go....tiletim has the idea. :tup1:

p.s. Joe,........ no tootin' jalepeno's and chili beans in a small bathroom !!

CarlR
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm getting ready to start a diagonal pattern in a corner shower where the corner is not exactly plumb - by about 1/4" over the 4 vertical feet that will have a diagonal pattern. Any ideas of how to deal with this to prevent the grout lines from diverging as I move up the wall?

Thanks.

Tiletim
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
What Brian said

Badback
04-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Brian - prefer no tootin' in any sized room, SuperDome included :)

tiletim - nice looking job and more great advice.the more I see that layer flipped back off from the diagonal sets I like it - I'd thought all the way to the top with them and don't recall seeing any other way before today.
nice work guys.

yeah-questions it will be I'm afraid.

:idea: what about taking some of this up to the Liberry if it keeps going? sure that some don't attempt it because they anticipate it being near impossible task to do right.

there - now I forced myself into committing to it 100%

Tiletim
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Joe,

Just take your time and you will do it the RIGHT way. no worries on the 1/4"@4' wall angle, just follow your grid lines and your grout joints do not need to be perfect, you will be able to tell if you are way off.

The Liberry has plenty on this subject, just keep checking back if you run into any snags.