Ubatuba tile, moisture sensitive? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ubatuba tile, moisture sensitive?

HS345
03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question.

Is Ubatuba granite tile a moisture sensitive stone?

Sponsored Links

Eric Philson
03-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Just installed 450 sq. ft. of it. Have done several jobs with it on floors and shower walls as well as scores (at least 100 installs) of 3cm uba countertops in kitchens. Strikes me as one of the least permeable or moisture sensitive. At least I have never seen an issue with it. May be that others know more of it than me though. I will say this, green uba strikes me as being better stone than black uba. This is a subjective observation though.

claycarson
03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Worked for a construction company that used Uba Tuba for their lobby floor.

Despite slush and snow, construction worker boots and general dirt, it stayed looking almost new for 5 years!

No problem with absorbency, but you can test by putting water on it. If the stone darkens and the water disappears fast, it's absorbent.

If the water puddles and stays put, and the stone doesn't darken, it means it's not porous.

koihito
03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Based on personal experience, I'd say no, it's not.

HS345
03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys. :tup2: I have installed some Ubatuba tops, just never any tile. :dunce:

I did visit Brazil in my youth, and they pronounce it Uwatuva (phonetically anyhoo). :) Unfortunately, I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night. :D

Bill Vincent
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
If you were thinking along the lines of this being inculded with green marbles (serpentines)-- not at all. Matter of fact, depending on the individual stone, alot of ubatuba won't even take a sealer, because the absorbsion rate is so low.

Eric Philson
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
In Africa they pronounce it ooba dooba(phonetically anyhow). it's just cultural nuance. :)

In response to Bill's post. That's right on. I installed green uba tops on Thursday. Had to hand scrub sealer haze off of tops that H.D. insanely puts on all their stone and markets it as something new and profound. BTW, it came off by stiff rubbing with a dry paper towel. Would gum up one towel, pitched it, got a new towel etc.

HS345
03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking Bill. Thank you sir.