Proper screws for Hardiboard [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Proper screws for Hardiboard

CMHCissell
04-14-2003, 06:50 AM
The pamphlet that comes with the hardiboard calls for a ribbed self-counter sinking screw. I have not been able to find such an animal at Lowes or Home Depot. I am very much a believer in screws versus nails. I have bought a variety of corrosion resistant driver screws hoping that one will prove satisfactory.

Input from Hardiboard users will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
04-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Hardi makes their own screws for use with their backerboard, and they're about the only ones you can use that'll countersink into the board.

AzFred
04-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Sounds like "NIBS" a type of screw that is common in professional woodworking circles. Check with fastener or wood working distributors. These screws also often have a self drilling "Type 17" point. The most common diameter is # 8 and quite a few lengths are available.

John Bridge
04-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Hey, where ya been, Fred? Long time no see. ;)

I think the heads on the wood screws might be too small. I'm not a backer board guy, though.

Jason_Butler
04-14-2003, 06:52 PM
I have no problem with CBU but I use galvanized roofing nails instead of the screws.

The nails do the same job and they go in much faster / cleaner ( i.e. no issues with countersinking)

Jason

AzFred
04-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Maybe, John. The standard Nib screw head diameter is .292"/.332 for # 8 and .340"/.385" for #10 screws. I hate to see an item that is a commodity in one arena being a rip off item in another. By the same token I don't want to lead anyone astray.

Dave Gobis
04-14-2003, 07:27 PM
The recommended head diameter is .374.

AzFred
04-14-2003, 07:54 PM
Then if the screw diameter is # 10 the head diameter would be right there. S&G Specialty Fasteners is a good source with warehouses on both coasts and a ton of distributors in the cabinet and furniture supply business and the construction fastener business.

Bri
04-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Galvanized roofing nails.:)

CMHCissell
04-15-2003, 06:23 AM
OK. Thanks guys. I've got what I need. I can see the preference for nails because driving a screw through this stuff is tough. However, I like the holding power of screws.

Bri
04-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Hi
There's no reason you can't use both. I like to add a few screws to the edges and a few in the middle just in case. It is a time saver.;)

AzFred
04-15-2003, 07:18 AM
OK, my curiosity has peaked. Both 1-1/4 roofing nails or #8 X 1-1/4 screws with nibs are acceptable to the manufacturer of Hardiboard for installation. The "Nibs" screw mentioned will meet the manufacturers requirement for ceramic underlayment the way I read the following site. Thanks for the lesson as ceramic is not my claim to fame.;-)

James Hardie Installation specs. (http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboard/homeowner/hardibacker_installation.php)

KChurch1
04-15-2003, 07:30 AM
We haven't had any problems finding the proper hardiboard screws at HD or Lowe's, they are in the tile department... in a display near the board, not the fastener department..... they always seem to have plenty of them.

Bri
04-15-2003, 12:01 PM
I guess it depends on where you are...my Home Depot has no idea what they are or if they can even get them.:(

John Bridge
04-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah, but your Home Depot is in Canada. They kinda favor us a little down here. :D

Tom Fuhs
04-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Are the screws for Hardibacker the same as the ones for Durrock etc? My Homedepot has screws labeled "For Durrock". I think they are made / marketed by UGI. I just "assumed" (word gets me in a lot of trouble) I could use the same ones for Hardibacker. The screws are blue, with a wide shallow countersink head, and have little "teeth" (for lack of a better word) on the underside of the countersink. Right screws, or should I be looking for gen-u-ine Hardiebacker screws?

Thanks

Tom

bbcamp
04-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Those will work.

Bill Vincent
04-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Absolutely-- what you're looking for are those "teeth" you mentioned on the underside of the screw head.

Sonnie Layne
04-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Most commonly available in these parts is a brand called 'Rock-On' (sp?).

John Nelson
04-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Be sure to look in both the tile aisle and the hardware aisle with the other screws. Seems like my Home Depot is always switching which of these two aisles they stock them in. They are sometimes in a special free-standing display. Regular cement board screws are sold as "Rock-On", but the special Hardibacker screws are sold as "Backer-On".

Even with the special Hardibacker screws, it still not very easy to get the heads flush.