Schluter shower + Better Bench question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter shower + Better Bench question

robersha
01-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Hi all, looking for help.

I am trying to install a better-bench (bb-30) into a shower that has Shluter kerdi installed. Now because I installed kerdi the corners are not square...not even close. This bench is a corner bench and now does not fit snug (gap between one wall 1.2 inch in some spots).

Has anyone out there encountered this problem or used the two products togther? The bench is made of a somewhat flexable metal so I can probably still install it and mud and tile over the gap just not sure if this weakens the bench.

also, there is a square better bench model however it is quite large and takes up too much of my shower so that option is out.

Let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Sponsored Links

Mike2
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
When you say, "...not even close", give us some idea of what that distance is. Like, is it 1/8" out of square, 1" out, etc.? Finally, are you sure the problem is 100% Kerdi related or could the framing be out of square as well?

If you used CBU as a substrate on the walls the Kerdi could be cut out to accommodate a better fit for the bench. Then subsequently patched. But of course, that would not fix an out of square wall situation.

Welcome aboard. :)

What's the 14 stand for?

cx
01-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Welcome, Shaun. :)

I'm tryin' to figger out this part:Now because I installed kerdi the corners are not square...not even close.My opinion; worth price charged.

robersha
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey, thanks for the fast replies!

The framing may be out a bit but the issue is the two layers of Kerdi and the thinset used. ie the large pieces covering the wall plus the seam in the corner.

Does this make sense? I am new to tiling and most likely used a bit too much thinset to apply the schluter products (although I don't know how you could have 2 layers of thin set in the corner and not be a bit out of square)

Im not sure how off it is. With the corner bench in I would say it is 1/4 to 1/2 inch off at the end of the bench. I will meassuer tonight.

Thoughts?

Anyone one else install a better bench in a corner that is not square?

Mike2
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Shaun, back to my post above:

If you used CBU as a substrate on the walls the Kerdi could be cut out to accommodate a better fit for the bench. Then subsequently patched.

:)

robersha
01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks Mike.

I am assuming CBU is cement board? If so, do you know if its possible to purchase small pieces and not full sheets? I would only need a piece 3 x 21 in.

I guess I could ask for scraps at my tile store.

Thanks again

Shaun

Mike2
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Shaun, if the out of square situation is cause by Kerdi/thin-set build-up in the corners and if you applied Kerdi over cement board (CBU) then you could simply remove the Kerdi with thin-set only in that built-up area. No need to remove the cement board in this situation but again, we don't know what you used. Was it cement board or was it drywall?

:)

robersha
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I used drywall but I like where your going. I could probably get away with removing kerid/thin set in the 3 in section needed for the bench, install the bench, then kerdi the seams of the bench (where it meets the walls), caulk, tile, grout.

Think thats a solution?

Thanks again

Shaun