For those who do showers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : For those who do showers

bathroomremodeler
01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I do several showers throughout the year. Most of the showers I've been running into lately, have framed glass enclosurers (1 return panel or even 2 return panels).

On these situations, I've been given an estimate without the glass enclosure ... letting the homeowner contact a glass company directly.

My specific questions, are ...

1. Do you get your glass enclosures from a glass company or do you have the homeowner do this.

2. Have any of you considered making them yourself? If you do, where do you purchase the supplies (frames)?

As a side note, I've noticed that the competitive rates for doing showers is dropping. It seems that it is getting harder and harder to get a decent price.

Thanks guys,

Sponsored Links

Splinter
01-17-2008, 09:11 AM
90% of the time I supply the glass enclosure... If the customer is looking for something inexpensive, I'll install one of the kits I can get from the local supplier. If they want something a little more high end, I have a glass and mirror guy who does exceptional work.

Scottish Tile and Stone
01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
usually the homeowner or the designer they are working with, will get a glass company involved in the project.

cx
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
If it's to be fixed glass set into the tilework, I do it myself. If it's an actual enclosure with doors and all, I call the same glass company but they do the whole installation. That can be frustrating, as can all subcontracted work, but it's faster and a better use of my time to be doing something else I'm better equipped for.

If you're gonna do a lot of these showers, Dean, you really owe it to yourself to establish a good relationship with a reliable glass company in your area.

My opinion; worth price charged.

pitterpat
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Unless it is just the bi-pass doors I have the glass company I use do the install. A lot easier to have them do it and if it has a problem then they have the call back. I usually always meet the installer at the house for th e door install, that way I can build a rapport with him. And if ther ever is a problem, and there never has been, I will meet them at the house to get the problem fixed.

Pat

Chris the Rep
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Dean,

Working with a reputable glass company is a good way to go. But if you're hooked up with a glass distributor for flat glass and mirrors, just about everything else you need can be found here.

They also offer a broad range of products for stone fabricators.

They have a location in Dallas.

http://www.somaca.com

Chris