Kitchen floor replacement [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen floor replacement

bdev
09-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Our kitchen was redone a few years ago by the previous owner so the cabinets are in good shape. However, they went with a vinyl tile that did not hold up well. I do not want have to uproot all the base cabinets but I am concerned with raising the floor height too much around the dishwasher and an outside door. The current subfloor is 3/4 plywood over 1X4 T&G. The joists are 2X10 on 16" centers. I am wondering how the pros would approach this job. It has to be a common occurrence out there.

Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
09-26-2001, 09:35 PM
Hi Brian

We have discussed this topic several times before , especially what to do with the clearances for the dishwasher and the 'fridge. It is a common problem to deal with when remodeling.

With the subfloor that you have...it seems like an ideal situation for Schluter Ditra. Ditra is only 1/8" thick, and is very easy to work with. Read all about it at http://www.schluter.com. Let us know if it seems like something that interests you, and we'll tell you how to install it (it's easy!).

Rob Z

John Bridge
09-27-2001, 05:48 AM
Welcome aboard, Brian.

bdev
09-27-2001, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the info Rob. I tried to get the name of a local dealer from their web page but that feature did not seem to be working at that time. I will try again later. There is still a question in my mind about what most people do when contracted to tile a kitchen floor without re-doing the whole room. This must come up a lot. There are cons to removing all the cabinets as well as setting the tile around the cabinets. How do most tilers approach this?

Bud Cline
09-27-2001, 06:36 AM
There is no need to remove the cabinets, and clearances should workout fine. Tranisitions to other rooms are also workable. Your situation as you describe it is text book at this point.

Rob Z
09-27-2001, 06:42 AM
Brian

Some people add tile and underlayment with no regard for clearance for appliances. I have seen many instances of this.

You will be just fine if you use DITRA. It only adds an 1/8", plus thickness of the tile. Double check and make sure the dishwasher is not sitting down in a "hole" of the 3/4" ply underlayment.

Measure the distance from the vinyl floor to the underside of the counter and let us know what that is.

Rob

bdev
09-27-2001, 03:12 PM
The measurement from vinyl to underside of the countertop is 34 3/8". If I go with the minimum spec for my dishwasher height, that gives me 5/8" to play with plus the thickness of the old vinyl tile. The Ditra product should make things workable with most tiles. Thanks for all your help. I will be tiling very soon!

Brian

Rob Z
09-27-2001, 07:19 PM
Excellant! Standard cabinets are 34 1/2" (without the countertop).

Are you going to get rid of that vinyl?

Rob Z

bdev
09-27-2001, 08:15 PM
I am going to pull up the vinyl which should be easy since they are the self-stick tiles. Vinyl tile is a very poor floor IMO since there are so many seams. Water from spills and mopping gets in there and creates havoc. I will probably have to replace a piece of plywood where the tile seams were somewhat near the plywood joints. This caused some swelling of the wood. I also don't believe it is wise to leave the vinyl there if one can help it.