Quirk miter [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile


View Full Version : Quirk miter

Brad Denny
11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Should a professional granite fabricator and installer know what a "quirk miter" is? Just ran into one that said no one in their company knew what I was talking about and acted like I was crazy. How are they cut in "modern" fabrication shops?

Sponsored Links

11-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Brad :shades:

I have never heard of a "Quirk Miter" Although I have and use regularly what I was told was a "Cork Miter" which is when you leave a 16th inch of the thickness of the tile at the leading edge. As far as I know it comes from Europe when they put in cork walls and floors everywhere. (some are hundreds of years old) if you miter cork the very thin edge left would fray and chip (too thin) so they left a little "meat" on the leading edge to prevent this chipping etc. from happening. I have no idea if this is what you are refering to or is something completely different. Maybe you could elaborate! Regards Gately :gerg: P.S. My sister used to live in Goodletsville (she said they don't do tile down there) just Kidding. Have a good one!!!!

Brad Denny
11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Rich, thanks for the reply. We are talking about the same corner treatment. Here's a link (http://www.polycor.com/docs/upload/Quirk_Miter_Detail_Model.pdf) to an example, but I wasn't sure what fab shops would use to make this miter, whether it be with saw or by hand. Did you get to visit the huge metropolis of G'ville while your sis lived here? Nice to meet ya. :)

12-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Hey Brad.

You would think they would do it on a saw, being hard like Granite is. I use my saw to make them alot when the tile I'm working with has no trim available to match. :bang: :bang: :bang: Never did get a chance to visit G'ville my sister is a guitar head. Her and Hubby only there for the music city and was not there very long. Pleasure to meet you as well !!!(its good to have contacts) :yeah: Regards Gately

12-01-2007, 08:16 AM
New term for me Brad.
Looks like a chamfer style bit would work for fabrication purposes if you have a router setup or just put a bevel on them with your tile saw.

12-01-2007, 08:36 AM
a chamfered/beveled edge is on the outside face edge.

when asked to do a "quirk miter" on marble on columns on store fronts or other area's, thats how I do them.

most of the architects we work with just ask to have them overlapped and polished.

never heard of a "Cork Miter" before,
maybe it's a southern accent you heard and sounded like Cork. :shrug:

12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Quirk miter? :scratch: You learn something every day

12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
#2 best fits me....lol :twitch:

quirk [ kwurk ] (plural quirks)
1. odd event: a strange and unexpected turn of events a strange quirk of fate

2. odd mannerism: a peculiar habit, mannerism, or aspect of somebody's character

3. curved shape: a curved shape, pattern, or decoration, e.g. a flourish in handwriting

4. architecture groove: a continuous groove running along a molding or separating a molding from adjoining members

12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Quirk miter is the term we use here in the limestone fabrication business. Have put them on stone up to 2-1/4 inches thick for square columns and the like. Brian's diagram shows it nicely. In my shop, they get cut by hand, but if I had a bridge saw with a 45 degree capability, I'd run them through that. Fabrication mills generally use a planner if there is a lot of footage needed.


12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
said no one in their company knew what I was talking about and acted like I was crazy.Well, yeah, but................ :D

12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
You know CX I was thinking the same thing.....

Brad Denny
12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah, yeah, and the when I told them I'd be using dry pack to build up the deck they thought I was crazy too. :confused: Seems like silicone is the only thing folks are expected to use to set slabs 'round here. :shake: I prefer to need jackhammers to remove whatever I put in. :D

12-02-2007, 08:25 AM
What is it you are working on? Guessing it isn't a counter top.

12-02-2007, 09:23 AM
silicone is the typical thing they use down here on counter tops when installed, that and shimming it.

Brad Denny
12-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Fireplace. Raised hearth with risers on front and sides 10" high. Hearth 60" x 16". Box surround with 6" x 28" legs and 10" x 4' transom. I just wanted the fabricator to cut everything and put the edge treatment on the corners. I wanted to take care of the installation myself. I don't get to play with slabs much so I was looking forward to the opportunity. :nod: