tile shelf after the fact [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile shelf after the fact

Podunk
11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
After tiling four showers in a new home, all with built in corner shelves for soap/shampoo, etc. , I have inadvertantly left out a shelf/soap dish in the final shower that I tiled. The previous ones were triangular shelves built into the corners, cut into the durarock and faced with tile. I am looking for a vendor or ideas that will allow me to attach a tile faced shelf in this shower that doesn't require cutting into the existing tile, as the final touches are in place and I don't want to create a new mess. Two of the walls are tiled and the other two are glass, so I have limited places to install. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links

tyler101
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43283&highlight=dave+shelf

ceramictec
11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
thats a good idea above.
I have installed the injection molded stone look corner shelve and soap dishes on a few tile jobs like this that were already done and missed.
I used liquid nail on the back, drilled a few holes into the grout line, stuck it on and braced it up for a night until it dried. the holes in fact took some of the liquid nail into and it acted like an ancor. after it dried I grouted as usual.
another method was using an epoxy.

I really trust the liquid nail myself since I installed my lion head fountain haeds on my tile wall in my pool. I liquid nailed them on, let dry and then grouted the outside edge with the same grout I used on my back pool wall. it has taken 6 years of water, weather, etc. and havent moved.

:goodluck:

jadnashua
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Better Bench also makes some shelves, I think.