Buying tile online [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Buying tile online

Linda S
09-22-2001, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of tiling my kitchen counter. I read somewhere that John--and maybe others here--aren't fond of tile counters. Yes, I'd love granite but the budget loves tile!

It's my first time tiling so I'd like all the trim stuff--V-caps for the edges, bullnose, corner caps and the special stuff to fit around an undermounted sink.

I'm in the Chicago area and tile counters aren't popular here. HD has most of the stuff and Menards has everything but only in white. I've gone to half a dozen tile stores plus Expo and The Great Indoors. Lots of great choices, but few or no trim pieces! I've searched and searched on line. It lead to you all, but not to my tile.

I don't hate plain white, it's a small galley kitchen. I'm worried that the HD or M stuff isn't great quality.

Any suggestions for online kitchen tile with trim pieces?

Thanks, Linda

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-22-2001, 08:12 PM
Hi Linda, Welcome aboard.

I tiled my countertops years ago when I wrote my book. I couldn't get anybody to give me a counter job and I needed pictures. Anyway, I don't like it. The tiles are scuffed, and the grout is filthy. Of course, we're not very careful in there.

However . . . . You can do what I did. I used a bone-colored V Cap on the edges and an 8x8 floor tile on the surface. You can use any tile you want, so long as it's durable. I would not use the wall tiles like they did (we did) in the old days.

So, find something you like and then get the trims at Home Depot, maybe. Buying tile online is a pretty shakey proposition.

Rest assured we will give you all the instruction you need to do a spectacular job.

Linda S
09-22-2001, 08:26 PM
Good idea. I like the idea of 8x8 tiles--less grout--but I'm not sure how it'll look in a small kitchen. One side is 6'4" with a 33" sink. The other is just 24" between stove and frig. I had the floor done this winter with 12" tiles and it does look great. I just assumed I had to go with 4x4.

If I'm mixing and matching tiles, it would be best if they are the same thichness right?

thanks

CB
09-22-2001, 08:32 PM
I tiled a kitchen countertop and backsplash for my son. It was my first and only (to date) tile job so I'm a complete novice. I used 4 x 4 bisque colored tiles from Lowes and an oak wood trim piece. The Lowes folks were even nice enough to cut the trim pieces for me and then I stained them. It looks very nice. Good luck with your project.

John Bridge
09-23-2001, 06:59 AM
Yes, CB, that's an option I forgot about. I agree, it looks super with the wood trim.

Linda, 8x8s would not be too large. If you lay them square/parallel to the back wall, you'll have nearly three even rows. Usually the one nearest the wall will be cut a little.

You can use smaller tiles, though. Just more grout.