BEER- question about Ditra $ [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : BEER- question about Ditra $

Cami A
09-20-2001, 11:40 AM
I knew I'd get your attention - I'm just a Mic Light Drinker, myself. I see lots of posts about Ditra, and that most of you like it, but customers don't want to pay the extra. I'd like to know about what it costs, but can't find that anywhere. Sounds like it would be ideal over the hydronic radiant floors we'll be getting, but the nearest distributor is 4 hours away. Is it worth the drive?

Sponsored Links

Marko F
09-20-2001, 11:56 AM
I've never used it, but the price is about $ 5.00 per lineal foot. I just purchased some. The rolls come in different lengths and are 3'-3" wide. It comes out to be at least a $ 1.50 a square foot.

John Bridge
09-20-2001, 04:02 PM
You're a quick learner, Cami.

Rob Z., the moderator of this forum buys Ditra by the roll. He'll be along shortly, depending on how he's doing in the thirty-thousand-dollar cubby hole he's working on.

Bri, aka Brian, fell in love with the stuff a while back and uses it for everything now. He's over in Ontario, across one or two of those big ponds you have up that way.

[Edited by John Bridge on 09-21-2001 at 07:34 AM]

Rob Z
09-20-2001, 08:56 PM
Hi Cami

I don't know if I would drive fours hours to get anything.

Ditra is good stuff, but I don't know if that trip is worth it.

Pricing...By the roll, I pay $1.08 /sq ft. A friend buys a truckload at a time, and pays $0.89 / sq ft. that's about as cheap as it gets. Expect to pay about what Marko said when getting it off the roll at a supply house.

It is supposed tp be very good over heated floors.

Rob

flatfloor
09-21-2001, 04:53 PM
Rob question, does the Ditra have an effect on the heating efficiency? If I remember correctly you put it on top of the pipe, I don't mean directly.

Rob Z
09-21-2001, 07:19 PM
Hi Cami, Jim

I should clarify what I said about Ditra being good over heated floors. I understand that the Ditra is good over heated floors because it can absorb the stresses put on the tile that come from the expansion/contraction of the subfloor during heating. This is part of the sales pitch given by one of the Schluter people I have talked to.

I don't know from personal experience because radiant floors aren't that common here in balmy Virginia.

Cami, I think it would be prudent to communicate with Schluter and with the mfr of your heating system to see if there is anything specific that should be considered before installing the Ditra.

Contact Peter Nielsen at Schluter. http://www.schluter.com

Rob

Cami A
09-21-2001, 07:41 PM
Thanks, Rob- I see what the company line is on that. What is commonly used over (SLC) radiant flooring? At the moment, that's the plan, although I'm looking into Warmboards- basically an OSB with routed grooves for the PEX tubing. That's another whole set of questions...

Rob- ya wouldn't drive four hours for anything? I guess when it's an hour to the nearest Taco Hell, my fast food of choice, four hours doesn't seem that bad...I'll probably end up driving that far for a decent tile store, anyhow. Home Cheapo, sadly enough, is about the best selection up here. (Also an hour away...)

Rob Z
09-21-2001, 07:55 PM
Cami

It sounds like you are in the middle of nowhere up there. If Home Cheapo was my only source of materials, I think I'd get out of the business. I've gotten spoiled living here in Northern Va with all the retail options.

Four hours of driving?? It's hard enough for me to drive that far to go to the beach for vacation.

I read your bio and got a good chuckle. My sweetie is good for taking the blame, too, when I lose stuff, forget things, don't pay the mortgage, can't find the car keys, etc. Maybe you two can compare notes?

Try a search for the SLC over radiant flooring. Jim Flatfloor Buckley has listed some info on that subject here in this forum.

Email Dave Ashton (listed in members directory) for info on the warmboard stuff. He did a job with that last year (he lives in Iowa), and as I recall, he did a lot of complaining about it. See if you can get his unbiased opinion.

Rob

Bri
09-21-2001, 08:07 PM
Hi
I was just on Warmboards web site to see if it was the same product that I put ceramic over a few month ago...it's similar..except the board I covered had a foil layer on the top(I guess to radiate heat up). I was worried about the bond on the foil, so I use Ditra over it, and it worked perfectly...so I think it's an option to think about.

GlenFlowers
10-04-2001, 10:25 AM
The best price quotes I've found in the MD suburbs of DC came from Morris Tile Distributors, 9132 Gaither Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, 301-670-4222, Fax: 1-301-590-0792.
DITRA PRICES
$79.96 - 54 SF ($1.48 / SF)
$373.00 - 323 SF ($1.15 / SF)
Which is A LOT cheaper than the factory list prices the Shluter quoted me:
DITRA-5M - is $92.88 for 54sf
DITRA-30 - $497.42 for 323sf

for local distributor info, contact Anne Martin <amartin@schluter.com> or 800-472-4588 ext. 114

Good luck