Making Mosaic Marble Dining Tops [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Making Mosaic Marble Dining Tops

jchernan
09-20-2001, 08:14 AM
Looking for the best substrate, adhesive, grout, and sealant for mosaic marble tops for outdoor use.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-20-2001, 04:42 PM
Hi Juan,

I asked you to post here so that we might get more opinions.

Years ago my brother got into a deal where he was tiling patio tables for a guy who was building them from wrought iron. The tope was sort of a dish made from steel sheeting with an angle welded around the edge. My brother filled this top with mortar and then set the tiles (mosaics) and grouted.

About a year ago (I think) we had quite a discussion on the Info Tile board (Australia) about this very same thing. Someone wanted to construct the tables from wood and make them waterproof. A number of ideas were forthcoming. If we can't get something generated here, we'll go there.

My personal thinking is: it has to be masonry. I wouldn't consider trying to build something out of wood, expecting it to hold up in the elements. If you took it in each time, maybe.

tileprof
09-23-2001, 04:13 PM
a metal pan with galvanized wire welded to inside latex modified mud, install stone with mod. thinset ,grout ,after dry, grind entire surface 80-120-220-340 grit or higher if you want . seal entire area(top quality sealer). or just use a 1 piece slab........lol