embedding hardiboard in shower deck mud??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : embedding hardiboard in shower deck mud???

AJ
09-19-2001, 03:28 PM
Have a question. I am doing a sloped shower pan in my remodel and I would like to embedd the cement board in the deck mud. I have heard that you should (helps) use a troweled on water proofer on both sides of the board before laying the last of the deck mud. Seems like a good idea to me if this will prevent wicking by the board. Any comments, advice??? Thanks

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 04:06 PM
AJ,

Why do you want to imbed the board. The tile police are going to come after you! You're supposed to stop the board a caulk joint above the floor. Right Rob? Rob went to tile school.

AJ
09-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Well John I have seen it done both ways. It seems that both ways have advantages. I think by embedding the board you secure the board without the use of fasteners down near the shower pan. I know in Michael Byrnes book he shows it embedded, but I believe he also shows it the other way. I also think that the 9325 would protect the board against wicking better than a bead of silicon caulk where the wall and floor meet. I don't know (shrugging shoulders) lol