Tile abuuting hardwood [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile abuuting hardwood

Marko F
09-19-2001, 12:36 PM
I recently had new hardwood floors installed and the contractor left me a space to install tile in front of my doorway. He said that I should poly the exposed part of the pre-finished hardwood and have a grout line in between the tile and the hardwood. Is this a common or suggested practice? Will I damage the wood or will the urethane protect it?

Sponsored Links

Bri
09-19-2001, 12:58 PM
Marko

The joint beteween the tile and the hardwood should be caulked or at the very least, left open. The ceramic floor and the wood floor will expand and contract at different rates, so a grout joint will crack. If you use clear silicone here, you'll never see it.

BRIan

various
09-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Thanks Bri,
The space I have is 3/16" to fill between the wood and the tiles. The dimension of the hardwood tongue. I don't think I can just fill a space that big with clear silicone and have it look good. Would it be a good idea to use a colored tile caulk and fill in the whole 3/16" area?

I appreciate the help!!

Bri
09-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Hi
Boy..you've been around..I've seen your posts on lot's of different boards(good idea though)....Sure you can use coloured caulk..but I've found that the clear will take on the colours that it's up against, and blend in quite well...but it's up to you. As long as you have that movement joint....that's what's important.

Brian

various
09-19-2001, 07:50 PM
Hey Bri,
you are very observant!!! I have posted on many boards, I'm just trying to get all the answers.

Thanks for the help

Jason_Butler
09-19-2001, 08:38 PM
Marko,

I wouldn't worry about Bri since it sounds like he's been on the same boards you have.

I had a painter tell me once that clear silicon with a little bit of the grout mixed in ( for color matching) makes a good expansion joint between tile and other types of flooring ; such as hardwood.

Since I haven't found many things that will stick to silicone I'm skeptical about this advice.

Any suggestions, comments ???

I seem to recall Sonnie is a painter. Perhaps he could help us out. I'm still wondering how a painter would know this trick ; unless he's moonlighting as a tile setter as well

Jason

Marko F
09-20-2001, 10:28 AM
OK guys let me know how this sounds. What if I were to grout the joint, but not grout it all the way to the top of th tile (or the same height as all the other grout in the tile field) and then fill the remainder of the joint with clear slicone. If the grout under the silicone cracks it really won't matter, but I should be able to get the look of the grout through the silicone.

Rob Z
09-20-2001, 08:46 PM
Hi Marko

I do just as Bri describes, but sometimes use VULKEM brand poyurethane sealant. It is an exterior grade, heavy duty caulk that is used to fill expansion joints in concrete. It comes in many different colors and is far more flexible and tough than silicone.

Colorfast makes color matched latex caulks for many different grouts, so you may find a perfect match for what you have.

Rob