Walk on shower's sloped subfloor and the liner? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Walk on shower's sloped subfloor and the liner?

MiltonMike
09-07-2007, 08:03 PM
First off, this website is a treasure. You guys are really helping me. So far, so good.

Sloped subfloor is floated. Looks perfect. Next step is to install the CPE liner, solvent it onto the bottom half of the drain, and tack it high up on the notched studs.

Worries: I don't want to walk on the CPE liner while I'm screwing in and squaring the cement backer boards. I'm worried it will turn my perfect mud slope into a cratered lunar landscape.

But this is an otherwise-finished bathroom so how do I get around in the 4'x5' shower to do that work? I guess I have to walk on it. Well I could lay down some craft paper or some tar paper. Or a layer of corrugated cardboard?

Another worry. When I'm walking on the liner, will it get ground into the lathing I used in my subfloor?

Anyone ever put tar paper on the sloped subfloor and then installed the CPE liner on top of that? Seems like that would cut down on the possiblity of the liner being gouged by lathing, and would reduce foot indentations in the subfloor. Plus the tar paper would smoothe out even the smallest bumps and dips in the sloped subfloor, so the liner would be sloped perfectly.

How dry does the sloped subfloor have to get? Will it be sturdier once it gets dry? I followed the recipe perfectly and it looked just like sand castle mud, only a bit drier. I mixed the cement sand and water very thoroughly and I packed it pretty good when I floated the sloped subfloor, but I am going to be surprised if it actually solidifies. I floated it at noon and 8 hours later it still looks like I could continue scraping and leveling if I wanted to. But this is Georgia -- pretty humid so maybe it will take a few days to dry and harden?

Thanks for any tricks of the trade,

Sponsored Links

chuck stevenson
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the JB Forums. If you followed the mud recipe, you will be fine.

After your pre slope sets up, throw a moving quilt over cardboard and you will be fine.

Not sure why you need expanded metal above the liner.

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Mike, you can see the lathe after you put the pre-slope in?

Once it hardens, you can walk right on it while putting in the liner and wont bother it.

MiltonMike
09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The lathe started to surface a couple 2 spots. I wish I had stapled it down. I figure in those 2 shiny spots I'll put some tar paper there just to make sure the metal doesn't poke the liner.

Davy
09-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Mike, you didn't staple it down? Or just not good enough in those two areas?

I would probably apply a coat of thinset over the mud just to get a little more thickness to cover the lath, maybe 1/8th thick. :)