Ceramic Tile Removal [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tile Removal

Hollis
09-18-2001, 05:41 PM
Thank you folks for the handy forum. I had ceramic tile put in a kitchen 9 months ago. Due to a house flood, I have to remove the ceramic tile and replace with a different tile. Is there any easy way to remove the old ceramic tile myself?

Sponsored Links

flatfloor
09-18-2001, 06:19 PM
Why do you want to remove them, appearance or structural damage?

Hollis
09-18-2001, 07:27 PM
There was damage to an adjoining floor type, wood, and now I am going to put tile on the whole floor. The existing tile is no longer available so I must put another tile on the entire floor.

Rob Z
09-18-2001, 08:19 PM
Hollis

Can you tell us what the tile is set on?

Too bad it all has to go. Do you live near NY? Flatfloor is in the process of quitting smoking, and could use something to come work out his aggressions on.

Z

Hollis
09-18-2001, 08:26 PM
The tile is on on the concrete.

The reason for the question is that I am dealing with an unfriendly insurance company and the stress release on tile removal will give my family some peace.

Rob Z
09-18-2001, 08:33 PM
AAHHH, insurance companies. I won't start on that topic.

Hollis, if you don't want to leave the existing tile there and put something new int he rest of the house, then you could set the new tile on the old (to save tearing it out), and then try to deal with the transitions from the higher to lower planes of tile.

If these transitions take place in doorways, maybe some strategically placed thresholds would work.

If this is not to be the solution, call the tool rental shops around you and see what they have for you to use for ceramic removal. There are various pnuematic and electric chipping tools out there that will make your life a lot easier.

Whatever you choose to use for tear out, wear gloves, safety glasses, dust mask, long sleeves, etc. Broken tile is razor sharp, and inflicts some nasty cuts.

Z

Hollis
09-18-2001, 08:46 PM
Thank you for the words and advice. Your site needs more exposure to help those in need.

God Bless

cx
09-18-2001, 09:14 PM
John:
Clearly Hollis hasn't seen the other board with the pictures on it, else he wouldn't EVEN be calling for more exposure, eh? :D

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 05:37 AM
Yeah, we're working on exposure.