What brands do you like to work with? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : What brands do you like to work with?

Chris H
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I keep seeing reference to "cheap tile" by you guys and i always thought of cheap tile as the wafer thin stuff HD or Lowes carries for $1.79 or so. Then I read about Dal, which I always thought was supposed to be good, as not so good. What brands do you guys like to see a customer order and work with? The most convenient tile oriented store we have around here is the Tile Shop, though there are a few smaller stores as well.

Sponsored Links

gwataloo
08-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Crossville runs pretty good.

tilerite
08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Chris
Here in North Carolina, Portobello, Crossville and Orchid tiles, comprise the majority of my sample boards. I sell more Orchid tile than anything else. Orchid's, which are 13x13 rather than the standard 12x12 are a great value. Quality ceramic at a decent price (about $2.29 sq. ft., retail).
-Rick

http://www.orchidceramics.com/
http://www.crossvilleinc.com/

bctile601
08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I also like Crossville, another mfr. that imports for them Ilva, Magica. Orchid, hmm think that's familliar ... :scratch:

Chris H
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
any of you guys ever worked with Rush River products? i think all they carry is stone products, and we found travertine from them that we like. any thoughts?

tilerite
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I haven't heard of them, Chris.

INtilesetter
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Rush River is carried by the Tile Shop out of Indy...have installed a lot of their stone.............They have some neat ideas for stone,but my favorite tile is Florida Tile or was, haven't used it in a while.

Chris H
08-31-2007, 10:19 PM
we have a Florida Tile here, but it's a bit out of the way so i haven't stopped by but once. how did you find RR's quality?

K_Tile
08-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Corby is right.

Rush River is owned by or "Private Labeled" for The Tile Shop Superstore http://www.tileshop.com/ which has maybe 20-30 stores in the Midwest. Good product.

Where do you live?

INtilesetter
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Rush River quality ? How about any tile makers "Quality control" ? Everything except their slate is decent.....or is all slate a PITA ?

I live north of West Lafayette ( Purdue university) But a lot of my contractors clients go to Indianapolis Tile Shop to pick out their tile. I think last time I checked Lafayette had around 10-15 different places to purchase tile,but people don't seem to drive an hour to Indy to pick out their tile? :shrug:

tilerite
09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
The nearest Florida Tile to me (Greensboro, NC) is run by incompetent people, so I don't even carry their samples any more. Most of my tiles come from Mosaic Tile Co.
http://www.mosaictileco.com/

CupanTilePaint
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
The Tile Shop franchise is a great store. And is a great place to bring customers with all the displays and a great tile selection.
Their brand, Rush River is good product. Awesome stone collection.
Although I stay away from their slate. All their stuff is import. And I much prefer a home grown slate from the states.

Chris H
09-05-2007, 07:24 AM
The wife and I picked out 12x12 travertine for our project at the Tile Shop, and i was curious if what we choose was of decent quality or not. thanks for the insight.

Cupan-

i was thinking about slate for another project. where do you get your from/how do you know if it's import or not? i think i remember reading on here that indian slate was junk or something?

Chris H
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
pretty reasonable price for it + my friend is a contractor so i'll get his discount of 25%.

tilerite
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Speaking of travertine, this is what I'm currently working with. I'll post some pictures when the job is complete.

http://www.artwalktile.net/items/ceramic-tile/serenissima/list.htm

FctryRep
09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I appreciate the kind words about Florida Tile, and I encourage any suggestions that will help us improve. We've been at it for a lot of years but the last three have been some of the busiest and most exciting in our company's history. Next week we are having the formal 'ribbon-cutting' on our new porcelain factory here in Kentucky. I'm curious if any of you are coming for the big bash? I'll try to post some pictures when it's done.

I agree that stone quality is tricky, and I spend a good 40% of my time making sure we get it right so you don't have problems. Slate is probably the trickiest of all the stones, it can be beautiful but it comes at a price in maintenance and installation headaches.

If anyone has any comments that will help us improve, I'm all ears, you can email me or post them here for further comment. Trust me, after dealing with customer complaints for the last 5 years, I have a pretty thick skin so don't be worried about calling it like it is. If anyone hasn't checked out our lines of product in awhile, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We've spent a lot of time and money revamping our product offerings so we can compete with anyone anywhere.

Thanks

daDave
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I use alot of Florida tile and DalTile, and Florida Tile blows them away. The only Dal Tile product I do like is the 3x6 wall tile. Its true, and thick, good quality, but anything else, NADDA....

Florida Tile has com a long way. One of theirs I have used quite often here in fla., is the "classic white 3x6". Its irregualar shaped, so it gives the old world look, and the customers like it in these old style "black & white" baths, easy to install too. Great product!

tilerite
09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Dan,
I can only speak from my own experiences, so here they are in a nutshell. Five years ago, I moved to the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina after eight years in Phoenix. I was shocked at the lack of quality tile stores in this area. Perhaps Phoenix spoiled me.
Being familiar with Dal, I started doing business with them. I never really had good experiences with Dal nor have I ever been particularly fond of their products, but the Dal in Winston-Salem was far worse than any tile company I ever did business with.
The only other real tile company in Winston is a place I refer to as the tile nazi's, a company called McCollough Tile. I'd rather go out of business than buy from them, so I started driving the 30-40 miles to Greensboro, where at least, there are more choices.
I opened an account at Florida Tile of Greensboro and told them that I was looking for a place to give ALL of my business and that I would need some sample boards.
Every time I purchased tile from Florida, I would ask when I could get my samples and they would tell me, any time now, and that they would call me. After repeated calls to them and never a return call back, I e-mailed Florida Tile's corporate offices and told them that their reps in Greensboro were killing their business
They never responded to me either so I picked up and moved on to Mosaic Tile Co., also in Greensboro. After going through some managerial changes, a few years back, the company is better than ever. They bend over backwards for me and treat me like royalty.
The manager recently gave me, for free, a 300 sq. ft. roll of easy mat because he wanted me to try it. Needless to say, they have gotten quite a lot of business from me. The other day, we were joking around about there being a customer at Florida Tile and the staff not being prepared because they never have any customers. Thats a sad commentary on a nationally known company. Thanks for listening.
-Rick

FctryRep
09-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Rick, I've forwarded your message to the VP in charge of that region. I do appreciate your comments and we are dedicated to improving our customer's experience in all of our stores. Hopefully you'd be willing to give us another chance, I'll make sure that you get your samples in a timely manner if you email me your contact info.

Dave, thanks for the kudos on the 3x6, I don't think a lot of people realize it exists and costs about half as much as you'd get it for at those boutiquey places. It comes in classic black and white as well as blue, green, maroon, etc.

Thanks!

tilerite
09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Dan. For now, I'm satisfied with my supplier. I do like Florida's line of tiles, so maybe in the future I'll reconsider.

Bri
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Any of you far westerners try this stuff yet?

http://www.fuez.com/collection.php?line=FuezGlass

tilerite
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Completed shower (Serinissima cross cut porcelain)

[IMG]

tilerite
09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
My new kitchen floor (its pretty pathetic when the tile man has the ugliest kitchen floor in the neighborhood). Kudos to my wife for designing the island wall.

[IMG]

tilerite
09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
My wife didn't want me to post this because I forgot a diamond, but its where the kitchen table sits so I wasn't worried about it.

[IMG]

FctryRep
09-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Time for a tear-out and re-install! :lol1:

Seriously though, all of those look really nice and I know what you mean about needing to get with the program, my kitchen still has vinyl :cry:

Good job(s)!

tilerite
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks Dan. I think.