Breaking sharp edges on Porcelain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Breaking sharp edges on Porcelain

Dano
09-18-2001, 08:54 AM
I am in the process of fitting 1" porcelain around my shower drain. I am roughing out the pieces with nippers, but how do I smooth down the jagged edges? I chucked up a 1/2" barrel sander bit on my drill, but this grinding process is very slow with lots of effort at best.

Is there a better way without laying out too many bucks? I searched the board for suggestions, and it appears some Pros just rough out the pieces the best they can and set them as is.

Thanks,

Dano

Sponsored Links

AJ
09-18-2001, 11:07 AM
See your still fighting the good fight lol. Take care
AJ

John Bridge
09-18-2001, 03:44 PM
Hi Dano,

Most, if not all pros, simply nip the mosaics to fit around the drain. Since they are set flush, there's no need to ease the cut edges. They're simply nipped close to the drain and forced in even with the drain top.

It gets easier after about 50 shower floors. :D

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 04:02 PM
Dano,

Took a pic of the drain in my shower. You can see that the cuts are not perfect, but they look good (professional).

http://johnbridge.com/pics/myshower3.jpg

Dano
09-19-2001, 04:17 PM
Thanks John,

I worked on my drain last night and I got it to look almost like yours after 10x the amount of time you probably spent on yours. Anyway, the Wife was happy and after reading what decision power a Wife can have on this board, I must have done OK. I should have an easier test tonight notching 12" tile around toilet flange.

Later, Dano