wall, floor tile removal [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : wall, floor tile removal

mitcheal
09-18-2001, 07:58 AM
i am currently removing the tile in my master bathroom. everything back to the 2x4 is coming out. It's on older house and the mosaic tiles were set half way up the walls on all four walls. We wanted to replce the tile so i started removing the tiles. well, apparently they used a cement-like material with wire mesh as a backer to hold the tile to the wall.... it's taking a pretty good swing from a sledge hammer to remove the tile and cement. should i be concerend about damaging the tub? the tub will be the only things staying... also, i started removing the floor tile and the floor is coming out uneven... what can i use to level the floor? what about just patching the floor with some cement patcher?

thanks
mitch.

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
09-18-2001, 03:58 PM
Hi Mitch

Thanks for stopping by.

You can cover the tub with a lot of things-mover's pads, pieces of plywood, cardboard, etc. I use an electric chipping hammer to take out the mortar , lath and tile like you have, primarly because of the shaking the blows from the sledge impart on the wall framing. You can rent an electric demolition (also called a chipping hammer) at most tool rental stores.

There are cement patching compounds that could be used (in some cases) to fix the mud left behind after the tile is pulled up.

Let's get all the other demo done and then we'll discuss trying to reuse the mud bed on the floor.

Can you send a picture?

Rob

John Bridge
09-18-2001, 04:08 PM
Hey Mitch,

I'm one of the guys who puts the stuff in you're trying to tear out. As you know, we mean for it to stay there.

The best way to remove it is to divide it into sections that you can man-handle. Then chop around them and remove them. cut all the way back to the studs and then pry the segments out.

As Rob says, a chipping hammer makes it much easier, and you won't screw up the walls in the other rooms. Banging on them with a slege pops out drywall nails, cracks plaster, knocks pictures down -- does all sorts of bad things. (Makes a hell of a lot of noise, too.) :D