Sites for tile layout ideas? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sites for tile layout ideas?

Mike
09-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Most helpful Wizards of Mud and Tile,

In stumbling around John’s excellent forum (and sometimes feeling like a hog lookin’ at a wristwatch), I caught a link to Harry Dunbar’s Ontario Tilesetters site (http://www.ontariotile.com/). Enjoyed the picts of bathroom in progress. I’m working up my nerve to tackle tub/shower surround + floor and have been counseled to “use your imagination” when designing layout. I think I’ve picked up the basics from reading the books and digesting Forum, but figure as long as I’m going to this much trouble, I may as well include a special touch or two. Can you recommend any additional sites with ideas for us “creativity-challenged” individuals to get started? I’m hoping for “real people” kinda bathrooms, not the big sunken tub/$$$$$ jobs they like to show off on the common sites.

I’ll understand if you want to chase this one over to the Deco & Design site.

As always, thanks for the help and laughs. (We can all use more of each right now.)

-Mike Fossum
Houston, TX mikemel@airmail.net

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-17-2001, 05:46 AM
Hi Mike, On my way to the job. The guys will be along. I'll be back this afternoon.

John Bridge
09-17-2001, 03:30 PM
Hey Mike,

Think I'll chase this one over to the design board (lol). Actually, I have a couple decorating sites linked to this one.

http://www.decoratingstudio.com/

http://www.designingonline.com/index.html

Cami A
09-18-2001, 08:15 AM
Delurking Alert! Great site, BTW- best onfo on tile I've found. I'm in the process of designing a custom shower and floor, also. The best thing I've used for design ideas is quilt books, believe it or not. They show simple designs with squares, rectangles, and diamonds, usually in at least two color schemes, combined to make some elaborate appearing designs. Yeah, yeah, I know- only a woman! Thanks for all the great info, guys.

John Bridge
09-18-2001, 04:00 PM
Hi Cami,

We don't mind lurkers at all, but you really should register. That way you get all the "cookies" that recognize you when you show up. There's really nothing else to it. We don't sell names or anything like that.

In my nearly thirty years of doing showers, you might think I've seen just about everything, but that's not true at all. There are designers out there who sit up nights thinking up ways to make things difficult. Just ask my decorators, Marla and Susan.

One thing I've learned is that simple elegance outshines an excess of pattern and color (unless you're as eclectic as I am.) We are, for example, using a lot of large scale floor tiles on shower walls these days -- more clay, less grout. A border or listello can add color or patern. Or a geometric mosiac shower floor might offset the plain aspects of the walls.

Cami A
09-18-2001, 05:40 PM
Consider me cookied!

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 05:41 AM
Great, but you didn't tell us where you're from. You've denied us the opportunity of lavishing some of our best regional jokes on you. :)

Cami A
09-19-2001, 01:05 PM
Usually I go incognito- but today I might allow that I'm from Northern Michigan - under the bridge - and I've heard all the really good troll jokes, but give it the ol' college try!

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 04:10 PM
I don't know any Northern Mich. jokes, but you're close to Canada, arent you? You don't say oot instead of out, do you? I have a brother-in-law from Iron Mountain. That's north.

Cami A
09-19-2001, 07:18 PM
Nope, don't say "oot" (yet), but the yooper "ay" is in the vocabulary. As in, "Say yah to the UP, ay" or "I'll have a brewski, ay?" It mixes strangely with the "y'all" left over from about six months spent in your great state as a child...

Bri
09-19-2001, 07:27 PM
Oot? We dont say oot! Besides..if you want to spot the Canadain in a crowd..Just yell out"who want's to go to Tim's"...any Canadian reading this is smiling now.

Brian(eh)

cx
09-19-2001, 07:53 PM
John:

Iron Mountain ain't north, Copper Harbor's north!

First place I ever tried snowmobiling. Everything north of there is water - in the summertime (which consists of the first week in August, I think), and everything north of that is Canada. Always kinda wanted to see the place when it wasn't all white (including the water part), but never did.

Jokes up there were "Finlander" jokes. One fella had a snowmobile with a bent rear-view mirror that only pointed directly at the driver. He said it was "a Finlander mirror, shows ya who's ridin' the machine".

OK, dry Finlander humor. Cold, too.

You ever visit the in-laws there?