Is it practical to remove tile from concrete? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Is it practical to remove tile from concrete?

projectboy
09-16-2001, 04:10 PM
I'm looking at a house for sale that's got some tile problems. Three connecting rooms have three different types of marble/ceramic tile. You can see it at http://www.doug.4t.com/10.jpg

I'd like to continue one of the existing marble patterns throughout the ground floor. Is it practical to remove the other tile from the concrete floor? I suppose my only other alternatives are to tile over everything or live with it.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
09-16-2001, 06:12 PM
How much square footage are you looking at removing?

It can be done but it involves alot of manual work. Usually a tool with a reciprocating chisel is req'd

If you decide to tile over the excisting floor, be aware there may be issues with door thresholds, transitions, and door clearances as well

Jason

Bill
09-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Projectboy:

The short answer is yes, but you need a lot more information.

Looks to be kind of quiet in here tonight. I am sure some of the Professionals will be along soon to provide guidance. In the mean time, provide more detail about the project, including the size of the rooms, size of existing tile, what state/town your project is located.

I am currently doing a project where I removed about 650 sq. ft. of tile from a concrete slab. You can see the thread under "Porcelin."

I can't tell you whether my experience is typical or not but there is a lot of real life experience within the many threads here, so take some time and review them. I guarantee you will learn a lot, laugh a lot and meet some real characters along the way.

FYI - I tried to reach your home page but was denied access.

Bill

Rob Z
09-16-2001, 07:22 PM
Projectboy

Jason and Bill got you started. did you get to read any of the posts that relate to your type of project yet?

I saw the pic of the floors. Which pattern did you plan on keeping?

Tell us what some of the problems are before we debate whether to tear out or leave in place.

Rob

projectboy
09-18-2001, 09:53 PM
I think I understand a bit about what I'm up against after reading the other thread. Thanks all!

The house has about 900sf of 12x12 marble/ceramic over concrete slab. It was built in 1992 and is located in Long Beach, CA. Occasional earthquakes are our only tile hazard.

Pro's built the house, but it's pretty clear the homeowner layed the tile (some bad alignment and bad design). Based on what I've read so far, it seems I'd be better off removing the old tile or living with it.

Thanks.

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 05:33 AM
With an area that large, over a concrete slab, I'll bet if you tap around on the surface you'll find areas that have already loosened, possibly large areas. Just a guess.

projectboy
09-19-2001, 08:33 AM
John, are you saying that because an amateur did the work?

John Bridge
09-19-2001, 04:34 PM
I'm saying it because there probably are no movement joints, and an area of slab that large is going to expand and contract at a different rate than the surface materials. The coefficient of expansion is different for concrete than it is for tile and marble.

Tap around the floor and let me know what you find.