Diamond pattern vs. square pattern [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Diamond pattern vs. square pattern

biznaga
07-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Wife wants a diamond pattern as you enter house. This will entail about 60-70 feet of edge that will mean cutting triangls to make edge vs. just cutting tile along edge.

Q: Does it require extra tiles for the diamond pattern than just straight cuts? (I am assuming there is more waste when doing the triangle cuts).

Sponsored Links

chuck stevenson
07-22-2007, 10:00 AM
By diamond do you mean diagonal?

A diamond would be acute and obtuse angles.

You can go to the Liberry and see many pics of different designs.

ddmoit
07-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Larry,

How about putting your name in the signature line so that it appears in every post?

I believe that a diagonal layout is going to increase your waste. There is a link around here somewhere that addresses this, but I can't find it right now.

What's a little extra waste when it comes to pleasing the wife though?:D

Dean Loux
07-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Larry,

That was verry good advice about pleasing your wife. Also I did an entryway in my mothers house with 12"x12" tiles in the diagonal pattern. I think it looked verry classy. It had a sophisticated look and was not very hard to do. the most important part was the layout to make sure you stayed square. I believe I did have a little waste but most of the tiles I cut for the edge into a triangle I was able to use the other piece on the other side of the floor. I get more waste with a stagering "brick" pattern than anything.

Dean

biznaga
07-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks.

If momma aint happy....

I have 3 pallets comming and picking onlu 2 1/2 so store has 1/2 pallet in reserve of same run if I run short.

Tool Guy - Kg
07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Welcome biznaga.

Diagonal layouts don't necessarily use more tiles. It will statistically use less tile if you hang onto the scrap cut-offs and use them as you are able.

If you tell me the length and width of the room in inches, then the exact size of the tile and grout line width, I will tell you how much tile you'll need for each layout. :)

biznaga
07-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Yep. Diagional is what I meant. Just truning 90 degrees off square to give diagional look.

Looks like I will do okay if I survive removal of sheet vinyl.

PS This board is a big help. Been 7 years since I did my last tile job and forgot most of the things I learned.

Browsing posts has helped to answer many questions too.

Lazarus
07-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I usually figgure' 5-7% waste for a straight lay (no jokes, please) and about 10-12% for a diagonal lay. This ought to give you some extras for any future repairs.....

biznaga
08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
:crazy: OK, Finally got all vinal up and floor prepped. Laying out my chalk lines the "normal" way is ok for normal install but the boss wants diagional pattern, ie, tiles rotated 90 degrees.

Can someone direct me to a picture that shows how to get my first tiles in the EXACT position so I can get on with this torture? :devil:

chuck stevenson
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Larry,

Here is one way to do it.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=525424&postcount=111

You can also do a border of straight tiles against the walls and at doorways. A border will eliminate odd sized tiles against the wall. Say 2 diagonal tiles measure 34" and the hall is 54", that gives you a 10" border.

lescon
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I often use the diagonal pattern and I find the easiest way to start is to find the mid point of the space by measuring off the wall -so midpoint between your east/west axis and midpoint between north/south and draw a big cross with a straight edge and a pencil. Then center the first tile with each of the corners on one of the lines - so this will entail only putting enough thin set down to set the first tile so you can see your lines. from there just work your way out in each direction using spacers. That cross will be the only lines that you need to mark.
Hope this makes sense.
I am not an expert but have tiled many bathrooms and other floors for myself and friends and family. Some of the experts may have a better way especially if it is a large space and you don't want to start in the middle.

Also, being a wife myself - I agree that it is always very important to keep her happy!!

Good luck with the job.

Lesley

biznaga
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Many thanks.

This board has been great.

And applying what I read helped too. The advice of moving ref line over 1/2 tile width if borders are too small helped me get the orientation aligned too.

So me thinks I am ready to pull the trigger and get'er goin'.

biznaga
08-02-2007, 08:43 AM
How do I dispose of the cleanup mess from the thinset? Like the water, excess thin set that will not be used? etc!

chuck stevenson
08-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Larry,

Yard Bunnies!

I put it in boxes(free) from the dispensery and put them on the curb.