Laying marble over tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Laying marble over tile

Cov321
09-14-2001, 12:04 PM
I just bought 12" travertine (filled) tiles to put on a bathroom floor. It was suggested that I just tile over the existing ceramic floor and raise the toilet 3/8". Is this doable? Is it a good idea? AND do I use a mud base or adhesive? I'm new at floors. Thanks for any advice. Cov.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-14-2001, 03:23 PM
Hi Cov, Welcome.

It is doable so long as the original tiles are well attached and solid. You would use a very expensive, high flex, modified thin set mortar to do the job. Names like Super Flex and Flex Bond come to mind. Cost is $25 to $30 per 50 lb. sack.

Rob Z
09-14-2001, 09:47 PM
Hi Cov

Whenever going over existing tile, I use Aqua Mix tile and grout cleaner to get all the residue of soap and stuff of the floor that would otherwise affect the bond of the thinset.

You don't have to find the Aqua Mix, many other floor strippers will do the same thing.

Z

Bud Cline
09-15-2001, 09:03 AM

It is the everyday goal of a tile setter to achieve a 100% bonding (of thinset) between the tile and the substrate receiving the tile. Admittedly this isn't always achieved for various reasons. This type deficiency is somewhat acceptable in most cases and I think we all strive then to get an absolute minumum of 80%.

In my opinion 321, in your situation, this 100% bonding target is even more desireable. Close attention should be paid when applying thinset and setting your marble. Marble requires more support due to it's make up of natural cracks, fishers, and use of fillers. Marble can be very susceptable to damage if voids exist under the tile. The corners are especially important and can be the hardest area to get thinset to sometimes.

I'm with John on the high quality flexible thinset, this is of utmost importance. Go slow and everything will be fine.

Cov321
09-15-2001, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the great responses. I feel better about proceeding - now I have to find the supplies