Butt Joint Stone [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Butt Joint Stone

Cisco
07-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Here is some valid evidence why you shoud not butt joint stone tiles.

Its not my installation.....

12x12 polished botticcino (or Crema Marfil) stone is set with no joints. The grout is falling out and can be picked out with your finger.

Some funky crap at the wall / floor intersection

Nice tight drain cuts

The installation is only 2 months old....:)

Cisco...

Sponsored Links

bctile601
07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I took one out a couple of months ago that was, I think 4 years old, but the peeple qwit using after about 1yr. It had the same kinda color funk on it. This was 9 x 13 ceramic though, set with mmmmastic over CBU. So I'm wondering if thats what u got behind that bottocino.

opiethetileman
07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
cisco i did that shower in my sleep what do you expect. When I sleep I can just slide by rite

Bill Vincent
07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Boy, am I gonna show this thread to some people!!

Monicakm
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
>>Boy, am I gonna show this thread to some people!!<<

I can say one thing about Bill....he's a man of his word <lol>
He just sent me this link about butting stone tiles together.
DH did our granite tile counters that way 5 years ago. I think Bill is
just sitting back waiting for the chance to say "I told you so" <g>
So far, no sign of cracking or any other problems.
Monica

Hamilton
07-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Point is the ratio of failure to
success is higher with buttjoint. Some manufacturers even suggest
1/8" joints for natural stone.

Bill Vincent
07-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I think Bill is
just sitting back waiting for the chance to say "I told you so"

Now Monica, would I do that to you??

:devil:

:yeah:

Monicakm
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Jack, I know he's right....most of the time <g> And, I'm sure he is about this. The way DH builds things, he doesn't mean for them to EVER come apart...and you should hear some of the things he says when he has to tear out his own work <lol>
A couple of years ago, he built a kitchen "unit" for his sister. It was an L shaped unit with an attached hutch and upper and lower cabs. He put granite tile on the counter and slate tiles on the backsplash. He built it at our house and transported it (himself) to Houston. 250 miles! I frantically posted here, asking the odds of him getting it to Houston in one piece. It was 100% "NO WAY". One guy said to make sure his sister had a case of cold beer and the kids gone cause when he opened the back of the box truck, his project would be in pieces. I BEGGED him not to attempt it but said "ok, if you pull this off, I'll promise to never ever doubt you again"....I've been eating my words ever since! <lol> He got it there and installed without a hitch. Same man has to pay a plumber $75 to replace a worn out washer!! <lol>

Monicakm
07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
>>Now Monica, would I do that to you??<<

All the grief I've given you over the last 3 years?? You'd have every right to <lol>

Hamilton
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Texas is a long way to drive for work Bill, especially for a guy as talented
as yourself. :)

Bill Vincent
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Heck, I've already done work in her "neighborhood"! :)

Davy
07-06-2007, 05:17 PM
My wife says the orange stuff looks like mold to her. She claims to be an expert after cleaning behind me for 32 years. Yes, dear. :bow:

The butt joint question comes up alot around here, someone save this thread please. :)

Bill Vincent
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes, dear.

:topicoff: I FINALLY got my pound of flesh, so to speak today!!! My son, for the longest time, any time my wife would ask me for something and I'd get up to get it, I'd hear my son in the next room making the sound of a whip snapping, and all this time, I've told him I couldn't wait for his first serious relationship. I'd be WAITING for those two little words, and today I heard them when he was talking to her on his cell on the way to the job this morning!! he's finally woken up to reality!! :D :D :D

Davy
07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Yep, it's just the beginning. My son uses his text most of the time but he's probably saying the same thing. :D

Bill Vincent
07-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Ain't it great?!?!?!? :D Maybe Pop wasn't as numb as they thought!! :blah: :lol1:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread. :D

jay f
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
:jacked: Gotta love it! :yeah: :D