thanks john bridge! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : thanks john bridge!

ohcysp96
09-11-2001, 10:58 PM
thank you very much for responding to my post at diy alas it has opened a veritable can of worms lol on your advice in your reply i will use either hardibacker or wonderboard i am leaning toards hardiback. now for my can of worms!thin set the backer board to the various walls plaster,plywood,concrete. nail or screw?aswell? then tape the seams? mastic over the backer board and set the tiles? i also went to aldon chemicals and they say not to seal the tiles prior to grouting? but aldon suggests i use their easy grout.(for ease of clean up)but as i am using tumbled marble as a backsplash in a kitchen shouldnt i still use a sealer?????? i would think so? and i think i will! but would you suggest i seal the tiles before i set them? then grout and reseal the tile and grout? i would like to thank you in advance and appoligize for all the ??? and rambling i just would like to have it turn out well!!! i have tiled a hearth in my home and it turned out well. but nothing on this scale so any remedial basic advice would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!! thanks richie

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-12-2001, 05:50 AM
Welcome. Heading out to work. Others will be along to help you.

Jason_Butler
09-12-2001, 06:37 AM
Just to clarify...

These walls you mention are to be used as a backplash for a kitchen.

If this is so then I would suggest using 1/4" hardibacker or equivalent screwed to the wall, then use thinset to set the tiles. 1/2" board is usually suggested for walls but considering the small area of most backsplashes 1/4" should suffice. Mastic for tile adhesive may also be acceptable in this case ( as long as it is not a shower, sauna, etc) but I prefer thinset.

I'll leave the ????'s about sealing the tumbled marble to the other guys

In all cases, you should read the mfg instructions for the CBU to determine if the seams should be taped/floated. I know Hardibacker recommends that all seams be taped with a CBU approved mesh and floated with thinset. Wonderboard, Durock, Utilicrete, and others may differ.

Good Luck
Jason

Bud Cline
09-12-2001, 08:35 AM
Grout releases very simply, interfere with the ability of the grout to adhere to the tile. Thus easier clean up.

Would you want this same interferance when it comes to the thinset adhesive bonding to the tile? Why would you seal the units before you set them?

John Bridge
09-12-2001, 04:01 PM
I have to clarify something. He's (she's) going over a wall that starts out concrete, then turns to wood studs. I suggested backer board to sort of tie everything together. I suggested thin setting the backer to the cement wall portion, carrying it through and nailing it to the stud wall. You guys gonna slap me down on that one?

flatfloor
09-12-2001, 05:10 PM
John, does this thread relate to another one? Or am I confused?

John Bridge
09-12-2001, 06:19 PM
It relates to a post on do-it-yourself.com (tile and terrazzo). Bri and I hang out over there. Don't see much of Bri anymore, come to think of it.

Bri
09-12-2001, 06:35 PM
You answered everything...leave some for somebody else!...just kidding...actually I haven't had a good answer for the questions...am I getting old?

BRIan

John Bridge
09-12-2001, 06:53 PM
Naw, you're still wet behind the ears. Dont' worry. :)

I can't handle that board by myself, though. No time.