"Blind justice" is peeking [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : "Blind justice" is peeking

Shaughnn
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
So, I guess I'm a little more pissed off than I thought I was. The telephone number for the Los Angeles Times editorial department's message center is (877) 554-4000. I just left a message asking that they please investigate and expose the parties involved in allowing Paris Hilton to walk away from the consequences of her actions while every other person of lesser economic standing is expected to serve their sentence, regardless of contrived "medical conditions".
Paris is a little easier topic to tackle than the Scooter Libby non-sense. If I were on his jury, I'd have argued to slap a "Sacco & Vanzetti" on that SOB for treason. I don't care if he got permission from the President himself. No man is supposed to be above the law, which is the strength of our tricameral system, in theroy.
:complain:
Shaughnn

Sponsored Links

jane m
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I left a message too, Shaughnn. That sucks. BTW, o you have a problem with Paris's daddy paying an estate tax? Just curious... :)

Shaughnn
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Jane,
I've said it before here on this forum. I believe 100% in a flat tax. In my opinion, anything less is an attempt to *game* the system. Everybody puts the same percentage of their worth into the kitty. Those with less obviously aren't benefiting as much as those with more, but in the end there is no opportunity to "exempt" or "loophole" your way out of paying your fair share. No "child exemption", no "estate tax", no "corproate subsidies". Just a flat percentage.
Even a public school graduate should be able to figure out what 10% of their income is. Of course, this would put an entire industry of tax lawyers and accountants out of bussiness but we don't "boo hoo" about putting hookers and drug pushers out of work for the betterment of society so I don't see any conflict there.
If Rick Hilton, Paris' father, pays his fair share of a flat tax, then I don't begrudge him keeping the dumpster-loads which are left over. More power to him! That's the beauty of a free market without manipulations, isn't it. Keeping the spoils of one's labor and paying the fiddler for the priviledge of having a dance?
Shaughnn

Scooter
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Paris Hilton.

Oh My God, time to get out the Care-O-Meter, unless we are talking her home movie career.

jane m
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm not smart enough to debate the flat tax thing. In theory, it sounds pretty good. But, I get REAL nervous when someone like Grover Norquist says something is a good idea. : ) And, I don't begrudge rich people their money, no way, it's just when they take more than they've earned and it comes at the expense of public health, pensions, etc... you know. I mean, wasn't it Jefferson who said we can have democracy or we can have great wealth in the hands of a few, but we can't have both? BTW, I work with kids, and they just don't ask tough questions, so I'm not saying I really know anything about all this stuff.

Shaughnn
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Scooter,
It's not *her* that's got my panties all knotty. It's what she's been allowed to get away with. If I'm stupid enough to drive while intoxicated and I get pulled over, I'm in serious doo-doo. If I flaunt the law and continue to break the law after the fact, I'll get an startling lesson in the perils of civil contempt from the presiding judge, and I'd deserve it. How is it that we've allowed our justice system to become so prismatic that she is allowed "home detention" while you or I would loose our business and livlihood under similar circumstances?
It just galls me! (and I don't know that I've ever needed to use the word "galls" in the past) :)
Shaughnn

Scooter
06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe Scooter Libby could start crying :cry:

And be let loose and go through home detention, eh?

This sounds like a plan. Fred Thompson better start rehearsing his client for a cry-fest.

If all the other prisoners at the jail start crying :cry:

Do they get to go home too?

How about sentencing her with a night with me and forcing her to ..... well you get the idea....., perhaps recreate her home movie with me. Would that be cruel and unusual punishment?

So much is going through my mind right now. Equal Justice for all.

Susan MacDougal gets years in jail for not talking; Scooter gets 30 months for false talking; and Paris gets off after 2 days for crying. :cry:

John Corley
06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
I agree with everything Shaughnn just said in this thread. Does not happen very often so I want make a big deal out of it.

:goodpost:

Davestone
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not the rioting type, but i'd make an exception here,this is an embarrassment of our justice system for the whole world... :shake:

sgrandjean
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, it seems as if the judge in the Hilton case has ordered her back to court in the morning, as the prosecutor has filed a 'show cause' motion for the sheriff to detail why she had to be 'transferred' from the detention center to house arrest. Maybe things are looking up in Los Angeles. :nod:

Cheers.

Jason_Butler
06-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey, I don't have a problem with her going home. Just send all the other inmates home with her. I'm sure they would love the same living quarters and it would be a HUGE savings for you California taxpayers :tup1:

Jason

jjwq8
06-08-2007, 04:09 AM
I have it on very good authority that the "medical condition" was the discovery that she is is a monster pain in the ass.

Bugman
06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
:goodpost: :clap2: :D

sgrandjean
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I understand the preliminary report came out that she exhibited a rash over much of her body. Maybe it was an allergy to that fashionable orange jump suit?

Cheers.

flatfloor
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Of course, this would put an entire industry of tax lawyers and accountants out of business

No it wouldn't Shaughnn, it would just turn them in a different direction, hiding the income.

How about a national sales or use tax like other countries have? Buy an expensive toy you get whacked big time, buy a cheap toy you only get whacked a little bit. Everyone pays, illegal or not.

sugarbeth
06-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Here ya go, Shaughnn - she's been ordered back to jail:
http://thesuperficial.com/2007/06/paris_hilton_back_in_jail.php

:)

Scooter
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I live here in LA and this really pisses everyone off.

First--the media. What the heck are they thinking. They've spent countless hours and talking head blabbing on an on about Iraq, the Debates, The G-8 and Iran, when everyone knows all anyone wants to hear anything about is Paris. I want a "All Paris, All the Time" Network. Or a web cam in her cell.

Second, the Judge orders her to Jail and specifically not house arrest--that was an explicit condition. The Sheriff gets in the act and does an end run around the Judge and based on mystery medical reports from a private pychciatrist who saw Paris, medical reports never shown the Judge, the Sheriff lets Paris out. I smell a rat here and I don't like it at all. As of this afternoon, no one has disclosed these mystery medical reports to the Judge.

Third, its not like there are no medical facilities in jail--they have a medical wing with dialysis machines and the whole works. I am confident that whatever mystery ailment Paris Hilton has, it is within the medical capability of the LA Jail system to fix--for the lousy 45 days that she will be in there.

The Sheriff here hasn't heard the end of this--this deal stinks, and it is a war between the Sheriff and the Judge and who has the bigger Johnson. I guess the Judge won--as he should.

Shaughnn
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you Beth,
Now I can put my bitter heart at rest knowing that the princess might actually have to sleep among the plebs instead of in her Spanish-style Ivory Tower.
IS the Sun shineing in Bellevue? Cause it's beaming here at my house. :)
Shaughnn

Davestone
06-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Now we can all sleep :D It's like i tell my wife when she's watching this crap, and all the other crap,like E-daily,and reality shows...If you just stop watching it,they'll stop showing it.I stopped watching the reality crap at the middle of the first Survivor. :moon:

MHI
06-09-2007, 06:23 AM
This video explains everything.:)

http://www.aolvideoblog.com/2007/06/08/paris-hilton-out-of-jail/

jjwq8
06-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I guess the Judge can no longer expect a welcome at any Hilton Hotel.
Let's just hope that this time Darling Paris has a confirmed reservation.:nod: