Caulk is liquifying [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Caulk is liquifying

helb64
05-09-2007, 06:07 AM
I completed a custom glass block shower a few months ago using articles and advice on this board and in a How-to book from Lowes. The shower came out looking great. This morning I went into the shower and found that in the areas (seams) where I had caulked instead of putting grout, around the seat in the corner, the caulk has started to balloon and along one side has even started to turn back to the consistency it was at installation. There was also some caulk in liquid form laying at the bottom of one of the seams. What would cause the caulk to break down like this? It said on the tube that it is for wet applications.

Any thought on this?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links

bikemike
05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Helb, how about a name we can call you?

Could you tell us more about your caulk? Some caulks, like sanded caulk, can be used in wet areas like shower walls but will do exactly as you describe when put on the shower wall/floor interface. Also the same will happen if the caulk was applied to dirty surfaces and/or high moisture areas (such as a shower floor when the pan wasn't given enough time to dry out after use.)

:)

helb64
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi. Thanks for the reply. The caulk is Florcraft Ceramic Tile and Fixture Caulk and it is sanded. The pan had plenty of time to dry out after it was completed. (My wife wasn't thrilled about me leaving it sit so long). Is there anything I can do to correct this so it doesn't happen again?

My name is Brian..

Thanks again..

Davestone
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm not familiar with that caulk, myself, but there's a thread in the liberry about caulks.If it's bubbling it makes me think there's hydro pressure of some sort.Turning to mush just means it's not a quality caulk,i would think.

helb64
05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
The caulk matched the grout that I used. Is there another that I should be using?

Davestone
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I know Tec is rated for interior exterior,usually any siliconized acrylic is good.....http://www.installersstore.com/cgi-bin/INSstore.pl?user_action=category&category=Colored%20Caulk

MudMaker
05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Did a search for Florcraft caulk and got a "Watch live girls from Dayton Now" page.... Now goin back to that page..... Sorry this didn't help... :)

Chris the Rep
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
What are you cleaning the shower with?

Chris

bikemike
05-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Brian,

I'm not an expert like some of the guys here but I have had bad luck with sanded caulk of any kind on or near the shower floor. In my experience at that location the sanded caulks liquify and/or pull out of the joint as you describe. The only thing that has worked well for me is 100% silicone such as GEII Kitchen and Bath available at the big box stores. There may be another solution I don't know about. Whatever you do, when you replace the caulk give the area time to dry out, probably a couple of days and if you have a dehumidifier to place in the room that will help.

Good luck.

helb64
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Is there anywhere that you can get the silocone caulk that is colored? All I've ever seen is either clear or white.

Thanks,
Brian

helb64
05-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Sorry, I didn't see Dave's post with the link on it... I'll give that a try...

bikemike
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Hopefully Dave's link met your needs.

Also keep in mind the GE stuff comes in Almond which is close to Polyblend's Bone and Buttercream colors, recently I used it next to Sandstone and it looked nice too.

Mike2
05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Color Rite sells 44 different colors of silicone. Retail telephone orders accepted. UPS delivery. Color Sil (http://www.colorriteinc.com/colorsil.htm)