Grout or caulk around toilet? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout or caulk around toilet?

SteveG91
05-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Hey everyone, back from my leave-of-absence......ahem.........

ok so, around toilet and/or pedestal sink; grout or caulk????

all responses appreciated! :wave:

Sponsored Links

dl
05-03-2007, 01:26 AM
It's either caulk or nothing. I vote for nothing.

- DL

Gale P
05-03-2007, 05:36 AM
grout Grout GrouT GrOuT GROUT (preferable unsanded)
caulk gets moldy-dirty looking after a while and the ladies don't like that, then they'll be calling ya up....... hmm, on second thought... if i was a guy...... :lol2:

jerrymlr1
05-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Sanded grout.

ddmoit
05-03-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm with Don. Using nothing looks best. It's what I did recently in my bathroom.

Bruce H
05-03-2007, 06:07 AM
I've always used silicone , but you're right about the dirty-looking after a while. My concern about grout: how is it when you have to pull the toilet after a few years? It's easy to go around a toilet set in silicone with a utility knife, but what about grout?

Dave Taylor
05-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm with Don and Dan, calk or nothing.... preferably nothing. Often to much movement for grout to stay nice for long.

Movement..... Hmmmm.

But Gale P says she is a grout type female person.... it's grout what trips her fancy.

Hmmmm.... what's a guy to do?

miac
05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I've been told & read that nothing is best.
That way, should you get a leak (four letter word around this home lately)
you would be able to see it before it became a deeper issue.
No moldy caulk or dirty grout!?

lee polowczuk
05-03-2007, 07:54 AM
i did a toilet and sink last year...

sink got nothing... toilet got some grout.

seems to be working..

doing another bathroom this year... probably will do the same thing... definetly nothing for the sink.

both are pedestal sinks, btw

river-wear
05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
One more woman's opinion - nothing. Looks best to me. :nod:

When we did our first bathroom remodel, hubby caulked about 1/4 of the way around the toilet and we didn't like the way it was looking so we cleaned it off.

Lazarus
05-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Pedestal sink, nothing.
Toilet, nothing looks good if it's an even fit. Downside is that dirt can collect there. I often end up with sanded grout and, no...it's not difficult to break one free later on. Whether or not you caulk or grout, leave about an inch or so open in the back. I'd rather be able so see any future leakage before it becomes a major problem. Seal the whole thing and you seal the leakage up under the toilet...not good.

SteveG91
05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Wow, Thanks for the input :tup1: Definitely I always leave it open in the back so a leak would hopefully show up sooner :o Never even considered nothing :shrug: , I kinda like that though. Good to hear that grouting doesn't necessarily "cement" the toilet to the floor, that's always been my concern :eek:
I've always used Adhesive Caulk- cuz it doesn't attract dirt like latex caulk, being water based is easier to apply than silicone, but it's just so darn shiny......... anyways, next time I'll try something different, either nothing or grout that matches the floor tile..........of course the floor is always gonna be tile... :tup1: what else!!! :lol2: :lol2: :tup1: