new tile floor...grout too light! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : new tile floor...grout too light!

nanac
04-28-2007, 09:00 AM
We tiled the entry hall, kitchen and one btrm. The grout was to blend. The end result is not what I want. The grout is still unsealed because they said the grout would darken! It has been over 6 weeks and the grout still glows in the dark...it is so white! It was a Tec grout....Pearl. The sample was a light beige that blended with the background in my tile. When the grout was wet, the color was perfect!
I have read on this forum that using the Stonetech Enhancer would darken the grout. I have also seen "Stone Beauty" mentioned. I would treat my grout with a tiny brush....one grout line at a time if I only knew what to use! I want the grout to be the color it is when it is wet.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
04-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Welcome nanac,

It is likely the color you are looking for is hiding under a very thin layer of lighter grout. Using too much water during the clean up phase is a common cause of this problem. But there is a likely solution that isn't too tough.

You want to try removing a thin layer of grout with a mild acid. So do a test in a small area to begin with. Mix 1 part water to 1 part white vinegar. Wet the joints and let this dwell for a minute or two. Then use a nylon bristle brush to scrub the joints. When that is done, clean it up with a wet vac and allow the grout to dry (so you can see the resulting color). If needed, you can increase the strength of the acid to straight white vinegar, but it's best to start mild and work your way up.

If this gives you acceptable results, proceed with the rest of the floor. But realize you'll need to nuetralize the acid that is on the floor by rinsing it with clean water a few times........or nuetralize it with an alkaline solution of 3 parts water to 1 part ammonia. :)

nanac
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey Tool Guy... Thanks for answering! We have tried that and it didn't make any difference. The problem is the grout is the wrong color...the salesman's sample is darker than the grout. The tile store that did this agrees with me about the sample not being the same. They are willing to work with me to get the correct color. I have researched tile dye and happened onto this forum. The Stonetech Enhancer sounds like a good idea but want some feedback first. I want the grout to be the same color that it is when it is wet. Does the enhancer change the color of sanded unsealed grout?
Thank you for any help..........

Davy
04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
The enhancer will darken it some but probably not as dark as it is when it's wet. All you can do is try it. :)

jim nazarian
04-28-2007, 12:28 PM
If its a man made tile then I would color seal (grout stain) it, you will change the color & seal in 1 step, This Old Grout is the company we use, (if its a natural stone then color sealing can bleed into the stone).

Davy
04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, that's a good point, Jim. I figured it was tile but the same thing you mentioned would happen with the enhancer. If it's stone, it will be hard to enhance the grout without enhancing the stone. :)

By the way, welcome, Jim. :wave:

hbrothberg
04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Visit http://www.thisoldgrout.com/ for a potential solution to the problem

Henry Rothberg
Laticrete International

ps - this is NOT a Laticrete website or a Laticrete solution .. just an industry solution that I've learned about in the past.

Tool Guy - Kg
04-29-2007, 01:50 PM
The Stonetech Enhancer sounds like a good idea but want some feedback first.Using an enhancing sealer to darken grout is a crap shoot. It wasn't intended for such and results have varied from turning the grout blotchy to ok results.

You said you had Tec Accucolor Grout. The stuff is colored to incredibly precise color standards at the factory and I'm convinced the real color you're seeking is just under the surface of the grout. I know your salesperson agrees that it's light, and don't doubt it. But we don't have x-ray vision to see into the grout, so I'm more inclined to believe the consistancy I've seen first hand at Tec's factory and in their rigorous testing lab. I think your real color is just under the surface.

I'd increase my efforts to clean the surface of the grout by using sulfamic acid. You can find jars of it in the same place you buy grout and sealers and such. Follow the directions on the small jar for application and clean up.

:)