Wall and floor tear off and replacement [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wall and floor tear off and replacement

Curious George
09-09-2001, 01:25 PM
I will beginning shortly the remodeling of my downstairs bath. I will be removing existing wall and floor tile and replacing them with new tile. There is a stand alone shower in this room. None of the floors or walls are in the shower area.

Question 1. Should I replace the dry wall under the existing tile before I put up the new tile? If so, do I have to prime the green board before I tile? Do I have to mud and tape the joints?

Question 2. Under the existing floor tile is plywood. After removing the existing tile can I lay the new tile on the existing plywood? If not, what material would you recommend?

If you can think of any other advice that might be helpful I would appreciate it. I have done smaller tiling jobs, like kitchen back splashes before with much success.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
09-09-2001, 04:02 PM
Curious George,

I can't remember whether that was the book title or a character in the book. Takes me back a few years, though. :)

If you are pulling tile off sheetrock (wallboard), there's a very good chance you're going to tear it (the wallboard) up in the process to the point you'll want to either replace it or cover it with something, depending on what you are doing.

Even though your existing floor tiles are over plywood, I have a feeling the pros here are going to suggest a layer of cement backer board at the least. It would help if you could tell us the joist size and spacing also.

Tell us a little more about the project in general. Is it a wainscot you're re-doing? Is that sheetrock flush with the wall, or is it an added layer?

Curious George
09-10-2001, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your reply.

The joists are 2x10s spaced 16" on center. The tile I am laying on the floor is 13x13. I want to do all I can to ensure that the tile does not crack. The current tile is relativly small mosaic.

If I do have to go with cement backer board would I remove only the top layer of plywood, reinforce the sub floor to the joists then install the cement board? Should I use an adhesive with the cement board as well as screws?

The tile I am replacing on the walls is a wainscot. It extends from the floor up apx. 58". The existing tile is on top of the wall board.

Any and all info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more info to answer my queries.

Thanks again.