what if i want to stain my granite? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : what if i want to stain my granite?

KDC
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi all,
I know this is a strange question but I have santa cecilia granite on my counter and island. the island was replaced with a different batch of santa cecilia so the color doesn't match the original (the counter is darker). The island looks very white compared to the counter and cooktop area even though it's the same granite. I builder said that they can stain the island with some kind of oil or stainer that will darken the entire island....to make it match the counter top better. They said they'll stain it lightly and will add another layer of stain if it needs it until it reaches the same darkness of the original granite. Does this sound like anything anyone has ever heard of? Is it safe for the granite? The builder said the stain will be permanent and will not fade..so I don't have to restain it ever.
Thanks.
Kim

Sponsored Links

Davestone
04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, you can darken the stone with oils or stains,the only thing that would concern me is the expertise of the one doing it.If they're using an oil, they may not be able to control the color,and the oil can contaminate food, and or rot, if it's a vegetable oil,we don't recommend this.The stain may not work well cause the granite won't absorb it very well.An enhancer may be the answer.