I just read a post that mention concrete and tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I just read a post that mention concrete and tile

Manny M
09-08-2001, 01:10 AM
if I'm installing a shower on concrete
would I have the concrete shrinkage problem?

what I was thinking of doing

http://www.jlconline.com/jlc/archive/kitchen/mortarbed_showers/mortarbed.gif

but instead of the subfloor I have the concrete

in the mortar bed can I use any galvanized wire mesh??
on the walls I'm using green drywall,roofing paper,
and the wonderboard it's this ok??? I'm separeting
greenboard and sealing it with 100% silicone at the bottom

Sponsored Links

Manny M
09-08-2001, 01:19 AM
have a lot of ????
thanks for your help

Jason_Butler
09-08-2001, 06:27 AM
Hi Manny,

I'm not sure of the concrete shrinkage question, John Bridge and the guys can help you there.

With regards to the greenboard and wonderboard, you are on the right trac. The greenboard should be covered by 15lb roofing felt or equivalent as a vapor barrier. There are some other posts in this forum that go into more detail on this subject. Then install the CBU( hardibacker, wonderboard, durock,etc) of your choice. 1/2" board for the walls and follow the nmanufacturer's instructions to the letter

Hang around awhile, the rest of the bunch will be happy to answer your questions

Jason

John Bridge
09-08-2001, 11:11 AM
Hi Manny,

Welcome to the fray. Between us we know a lot about building showers and will be happy to lead you along. I'll tell you about the mortar bed and then let the others instruct you on the backer board.

You can do the shower floor like Michael suggests, except that on a concrete floor you bond the mortar to the slab when you do the pre-slope. You wont use any metal lath or other reinforcing for this.

Get your mud ready to go and then sprinkle pure portland cement on the slab -- roughly an eighth of an inch or so. Then sprinkle water on the portland until it's wet.

Immediately spread your mud over the wet portland and trowel and scrape it smooth.

You can use Michael's 1x1 wood strips as guides around the perimeter. Tack them to the bottom 2x4 plates.

Whether you use wire in the final mud bed is up to you. Michael and I diverge at that point. I've never done it his way.

Oh, and I don't beat the mud to blazes, either. I just pack it in firmly.

Manny M
09-09-2001, 02:10 AM
in home depot they told me that I can used the 108 cold asfalt after that install the shower pan liner than the mortar and last the tile

now base on what I learn here,, that doesn't make sence
I,m glad I found this forum

but I don't think that Homo depot has the shower liner glue

thank you JB and J_B

John Bridge
09-09-2001, 08:44 AM
I buy the glue at Home Depot. I think you'll find it.