I think I goofed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I think I goofed

spark chaser
09-07-2001, 09:52 PM
Finished my grout work on my little tile project last weekend, and have been letting it sit for a few weeks before I seal it.

Today I was doing a little plastic pipe plumbing, and dropped a can of glue on the new tile. It spread out the size of a pizza before I could start getting it rounded up.

I had just broken my work light, so I could not see the extent of damage very well. Is this likely to cause me problems? I was thinking of scrubbing with some MEK (and a respirator) if it appears I have any remaining dried glue.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links

cx
09-07-2001, 10:16 PM
Well, guess you can call that part of the grout sealed.

MEK is the only thing in my traier that melts PVC effectively. Use it for that kind of clean up alla time. Respirator is a good idea. Plenty headaches in cup of that stuff.

I usually try not to have to clean PVC cement off my new tile though.
Oh, yeah, I really do.

Rob Z
09-07-2001, 10:26 PM
sparky

my sympathies, man. i don't know what to try.

i usually keep the can in a bucket and only pullout the brush to swab a fitting.

about five years ago, one of my customers kicked over a can of PVC purple primer on a 2 x2 floor, got really pissed, and blamed me!

I guesss if it's really bad, you can cut the grout out just in the affected area.

Bud Cline
09-07-2001, 10:52 PM
Years ago I cut two holes in a piece of 2
X4 that those two cans (glue & primer) fit into then I used liquid nails to glue the cans into the holes. The 2X4 was then glued to a piece of 2X6. The cans were seperated enough for me to screw a 4" screen door handle in between the cans.

There was no way you were going to accidently spill that stuff. Several times when the products ran out I bought more and refilled those cans and replaced the daubers.

About a year ago I left the sucker on a job and when I went back to get it, it was gone. It was looking really neat too, like years ago when people used to burn drip candles in wine bottles and the wax would build and build.

John Bridge
09-08-2001, 11:26 AM
Sparky, You sure you ain't a stealth plumber? Those dudes spill glue on stuff all the time. Gotta watch 'em like a hawk.

If you can get it off the tile, at worst you'll have to replace the grout. No big deal there.

cx
09-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Geez, Bud, most of us think two quart cans wrapped together with duct tape is adequate.

The secret is to never, NEVER pewt the dauber/brush back in the can without screwing on the top. Ever. You learn this, of course, by spilling a pizza size puddle on your new tile.

And there is nothing worse than spilling the purple primer on something of value. Don't never get that off. Possibly why I use MEK instead - unless you have to deal with an inspector. Ever notice that they don't give a damn if you forget to GLUE the joint, so long as you put "purple" on it?

John Bridge
09-08-2001, 12:49 PM
Tell me about MEK. I do not like getting that purple in, under, and around my fingernails. It clashes with the red chalk and white thin set.

twelvepole
09-08-2001, 01:46 PM
Methyl-ethyl keytone. (Who would name their child that?) This is an organic solvent used as a PVC primer. Always read and follow label directions.

John Bridge
09-08-2001, 02:11 PM
Thanks, twelvepole. Please make yourself at home in the Hangout and the Mud Box as well.

Folks, I invited twelvepole over here. Check the profile.

cx
09-08-2001, 02:35 PM
Yo, twelvepole, welcome aboard. Good to have another non-tile person. I must caution you, though, that we discuss ONLY TILE issues hereabouts! Right John?

So, first: Give us a hint about your handle.

Second: We gonna need any special dictionary for your posts, or you just speak good newnitedstates or Texan like the rest of us? Well, we use a little Mesican and a tiny bit of Frog, but not mucho.

Third: If you follow the directions on the MEK can, I think you have to put it in a concrete vault and never use it. It is mean stuff, John, and I wasn't kidding about the headaches. But it works fine for preping your PVC joints, and it is as close to a zero-residue solvent as you will find. Must be careful what you get it on though. It eats lots of stuff, especially plastics of many kinds. DO NOT splash it on your non-glass reading glasses.

It's usually available at you local HD.

John Bridge
09-08-2001, 06:38 PM
I think I'll stick with the purple primer.

Rob Z
09-08-2001, 08:31 PM
Howdy 12 pole! Welcome. This is a great site for doing nuthin' and wastin' a lot of time. You must first report in on your favorite brand of beer. (after you 'splain 12pole, that is).

That MEK stuff sounds like you could get dain bramage from it.

[Edited by Rob Zschoche on 09-08-2001 at 10:56 PM]

cx
09-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Well, don't pewt it on your bram dain then! Geeez!

I find it really useful. Perhaps we should discuss it over to the Hangout.

flatfloor
09-09-2001, 02:21 PM
That stuff is not as dangerous as some thinkle peep it is.

twelvepole
09-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Hello! I don't lay tile or use MEK (Yes, those people who like to write warnings have lots for MEK. I think they are much worse than the warnings on the Bud can.) I've sold some tile and talked with a lot of installers and tile reps. Too many installer headaches in our neck of the woods. I'm down to dealing only with kitchen cabinets and hardwood floors.

You can give George Washington credit for the twelvepole handle. Twelve Pole (a tributary to the Ohio) is the creek where I grew up in WV. When George came through at some point he measured its width where it was 12 poles (rods) wide.

I will try to control my urges to use mountain slang. So, I don't think you'll need a dictionary. I don't think there are many half hillside trotters around these days anyway.

Bye, y'all!

John Bridge
09-09-2001, 03:20 PM
Okay, no more West Virginia jokes, Bud. :D

We're not all strictly tile setters here. Some of the folks do wood floors, too. Some of them even do (I'll whisper it) carpet.

Bud Cline
09-09-2001, 10:07 PM
Actually that was originally a Tennessee/Texas joke til "Z" said something supository about his proximity to W VA so I changed it. Since Keith wasn't around to harass I figured no harm can come. Just my luck, the perfect end to a perfect week.

Sorry 12pole.