shower drain removal [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower drain removal

scotty
01-14-2003, 02:15 PM
While doing a redo of our sunken tub/shower, I am down to removing the old drain. I have attempted to remove the 3 bolts holding the cast iron drain together by putting WD on them the last 3 days. Due to all the rust, ( I think the water was puddling) I have been taking it slow. Today I attmpted to remove the 3 bolts, 2 broke off while I only got 1 off. Everything is so rusted I have decided to replace the drain and not try to remove the 2 broken bolts. Any thoughts on how to remove the bottom portion of the drain? Does it simply screw off? Scotty

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-14-2003, 02:25 PM
How bad rusty?

Try this, if you can. Use a propane torch to heat the bolt heads until red, then let cool. The expansion and contraction of the bolt should break loose the rust and you should be able to screw them out. For the broken bolts, wait until you can remove the upper section, then use a vise grip or "easy-out" on the bolt stubs.

If you don't want to use the torch, try drilling through the center of the bolt. This will heat the bolt as well. Then use the "easy-out". You may have to re-tap the holes, but that's easy.

Scooter
01-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Cast Iron 2 part clamping drains have a compression fitting with the actual waste pipe and is screwed into the plywood subfloor. Take the membrane off and you should find three screws that connect the bottom half to the subfloor and put an Eagle bar (crow bar) under it and lift.

You may have to take a cold chisel and break it in half or take a Sawzall and stick it down the chute and saw into the top inch of the chute and top of the chute a bit. Then take a cold chisel and give it a whack. It should break nicely.

scotty
01-14-2003, 02:41 PM
BBCamp, its very rusty. The top portion is off with the 2 bolts broke off in the bottom portion. I could attempt to remove the 2 bolts that are broke but I think I should replace the whole drain. The house is 20 years old. Scotty

scotty
01-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Scotter, Your reply came in when I was typing a reply, the foundation is concrete slab. Scotty

scotty
01-14-2003, 03:50 PM
After further scraping and getting most of the old crud off everything, I think the drain is salvagable. I think easy outs is probably the way to go. It looks like this drain is pretty stout, the surface rust had me going initially. If I go the easy out way and it doesn't work, I can always replace the entire drain. Thanks Scotty

John Bridge
01-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, Scotty, it's to your advantage to try to salvage the drain. It's probably put on with molten lead.

scotty
01-14-2003, 06:26 PM
John, are you saying it's a false economy, just go ahead and replace it? Scotty

John Bridge
01-14-2003, 06:36 PM
No, I'm saying try to use it. It's perfectly fine if you can get the old bolts out. You can buy a new stainer for it, and when the job it done it'll look like new.