sanding down travertine? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : sanding down travertine?

amheck
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
SOme of you may remember the thread on our travertine install. The installer applied StoneTech Enhancer Pro (solvent based) and let it dry on the floor, resulting in a blotchy and hazy finish. I had another stone guy out this past week to look at installing our bathroom, and I showed him the travertine in the kitchen area. he suggested to take some 220 grit sand paper on a orbital sander and sand the whole floors. He said this will not only get rid of the lips that we have, but also most likely even out the finish.

What do you guys think about doing this? I have a nice 6" sander/polisher that would work fine for the job. he stated that as long as you don't use something too abraisive (220 and up) you really can't hurt the floors.

Aaron

Sponsored Links

jvcstone
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Aaron,

You don't say if your travertine is honed or polished. If polished sanding will leave a mess, and your floor would need to be restored by a pro. If honed, you could probably re-hone the entire floor, but the 220 grit won't take your lippage down very fast - if at all, and again, you take a chance on messing up the floor. Some times with a solvent based sealer, one can re-work the sealer on the floor by using the same sealer and some good old elbow grease. Something about the additional sealer disolving the residue on top of the tile and then you can wipe it off as recommended. Suggest a small test area first befor going all out. As another plan--use your floor until it gets all dirty and scratched up, and then call in that restoration pro. He (she) can get the floor nice and flat, and hone or polish as you like.

JVC