Help a newbie with tile pricing [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie with tile pricing

CAHUSKY
02-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie and my name is Jason. Im in the middle of a major, well major to me at least, renovation on my house in Tahoe and I have a question about the price of tumbled travertine. Im looking for a general cost of the material only, not the install. I need roughly 200 sq.ft and have recieved a bid of $15 per sq.ft from a stone and marble distributor in Reno. I also have a bid of $7.99 from another outfit in Sparks, NV. They both tell me they have the best prodcut imported from Italy. Of course, the company bidding at $15 per sq. ft insists that theirs is better and comes from some place in Italy that no one else uses. What the heck is the truth here. Is it possible the quality could be so much better as to warrant that price? Is $15 insanely high for 4x4 tumbled travertine, unfilled and unpolished? HELP, HELP, HELP.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Just bought some 6" x6" Durango here in Tejas for $5.50 per sq ft. Used it on a backsplash. That's discounted for the trade but $15 sounds high

Durango is also tumbled travertine

Jason

bmk
02-28-2007, 06:40 PM
15 sounds high, im really cheap though. i bought my travertine for about $2 per sq ft from a building materials auction.

Marge
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
CAHUSKY (got a first name for us?), welcome to the forum.

We've used a lot of 4x4 and never paid more than $5-6 retail. Have you checked some retailers in CA? For the possible price difference, a road trip might be in order. :)